NVIDIA 440.58.01 Linux Driver Fixes Vulkan Game Crashes, New Extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 440.58.01 Linux Driver Fixes Vulkan Game Crashes, New Extensions

Phoronix: NVIDIA 440.58.01 Linux Driver Fixes Vulkan Game Crashes, New Extensions

Not scheduled to go live until Monday but up this weekend is the NVIDIA 440.58.01 Linux beta driver that offers a few Vulkan updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am a little puzzled on how does nVidia driver development works. Are those fixes included in 440.59? Are there intended to get ported to, say, 440.59.01 when the beta period ends? Neither of those?

Comment

Hmm may have to check this out. Shadow of the Tomb Raider was crashing with anything beyond 418.56. Grrrrr NVIDIA. I played all the way through ROTTR and watched its quirky crash at the end. Oh well.. Windows users experienced the same. It really seems a lot of issues people experienced with these games on windows, linux users then experienced the same issues. I dug through communities discussions on each of these games and on windows they where having the same issues little over a year ago.

I actually was having correspondence with Feral Interactive related to the latest Tomb Raider Game. It's not their port that has issues, it's the NVIDIA drivers. We both pretty much reached the same conclusions which is that it's more than likely NVIDIA drivers.

I personally thought it was memory allocations issues.
      Last edited by creative; 16 February 2020, 01:20 PM.

Comment

I was having correspondence too about SOTTR crashing due to Vulkan VRAM allocation error. I actually wrote them kind of mad that running it through DXVK was working and the "native" port wasn't. The conversation was stuck when they told me to try it in Ubuntu 18.04, task for which I didn't have time.

I had the same error in F1 2017 but way less frequently though. Can't wait to see if these issues are solved now.

Comment

Originally posted by sabian2008 View Post
          I was having correspondence too about SOTTR crashing due to Vulkan VRAM allocation error. I actually wrote them kind of mad that running it through DXVK was working and the "native" port wasn't. The conversation was stuck when they told me to try it in Ubuntu 18.04, task for which I didn't have time.

I had the same error in F1 2017 but way less frequently though. Can't wait to see if these issues are solved now.
          The reason it did not crash using DXVK is likely due to the Windows version of the game already being patched. The performance is awful using it.

Yeah... You might want to be more delicate talking to Feral, I don't know how big their dev team is. If anything I would rather assist them with troubleshooting and helping narrow down what driver the ports work with best by testing them and seeing what is causing issues. According to the the game launcher Manjaro is not supported but I found out through using the 418.56 "which they kindly recommended" and actually the game runs just fine with it.

I can't blame them for suggesting Ubuntu "It does perform better on average for gaming from what I have seen." , they actually recommended me using Gnome as its closer to running on Ubuntu. That does not bother me, I am just not going to use it cause I really don't like Gnome at all. Once I got use to i3wm having customized it to my liking its really hard to want to use anything else.

Manjaro might not be the most performant for games but its good enough, plus there is a number of things its done wonderfully well for me in terms of versatility. I am not switching distros just for a game. Id rather boot to windows if the game is that important to me.

I am on this new beta right now and am going to torture test SOTTR to see if I can get it to crash.
          Last edited by creative; 16 February 2020, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post

I am not switching distros just for a game. Id rather boot to windows if the game is that important to me.
            My idea was to try it in a Live USB, just to test it. Of course I am not changing distros for that. Even a virtual machine with GPU Passthrough was too much of a hassle for me and ended up being deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by sabian2008 View Post
              I am a little puzzled on how does nVidia driver development works. Are those fixes included in 440.59? Are there intended to get ported to, say, 440.59.01 when the beta period ends? Neither of those?
              I don't think even nvidia gets the numbering consistent. As I understand it 440.58.01 is a Vulkan 1.2 beta development branch, and 440.59 is the general release branch (with Vulkan 1.1 support). At some point the Vulkan 1.2 development code will be pulled in the general release branch (with some new and improved number, no doubt).

Comment

Shadow Of The Tomb Raider:
                Ran without crashes on an i7 7700, 16GB Ram, and a GTX 1070. Distribution: Manjaro

After 4 intense hours of playing Shadow Of The Tomb Raider and getting eaten by piranhas, repeatedly—beta 440.58.01 ran the game without issues. I would have experienced many crashes with most of the other drivers by that time period. I traversed many graphically intense areas with loads of NPC's and pretty high graphics settings.

If you are having issues running this game, this beta driver and 418.56 are the drivers that performed very well without issues. These two drivers are most likely your best bet for Shadow Of The Tomb Raider.

Hopefully this will help someone.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
                  Shadow Of The Tomb Raider:
                  Ran without crashes on an i7 7700, 16GB Ram, and a GTX 1070. Distribution: Manjaro

After 4 intense hours of playing Shadow Of The Tomb Raider and getting eaten by piranhas, repeatedly—beta 440.58.01 ran the game without issues. I would have experienced many crashes with most of the other drivers by that time period. I traversed many graphically intense areas with loads of NPC's and pretty high graphics settings.

If you are having issues running this game, this beta driver and 418.56 are the drivers that performed very well without issues. These two drivers are most likely your best bet for Shadow Of The Tomb Raider.

Hopefully this will help someone.
                  Since these are Vulkan dev drivers it makes sense. If a game uses Vulkan these might fix problems as a result.

Comment

ix900 Might is the word, that is why I posted what I did. I was having crashes all over place with multiple drivers on that game.
                    Last edited by creative; 17 February 2020, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X