Lima Gallium3D Driver Picks Up Multi-Submit Optimization In Mesa 20.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lima Gallium3D Driver Picks Up Multi-Submit Optimization In Mesa 20.1

Phoronix: Lima Gallium3D Driver Picks Up Multi-Submit Optimization In Mesa 20.1

It's been a while since last having any news to report on Mesa's Lima Gallium3D driver for old Mali 400/450 series hardware, but an important optimization was merged today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Merged, THX
    I am going to test it

Comment

Nice. Pinephone currently has lackluster graphics performance, let's hope some optimizations like this one will improve it.

Comment

Hi Michael do you have any hardware to test this on?

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
          Hi Michael do you have any hardware to test this on?
          Don't think so, I might have some old Arm SBC somewhere with Mali 400/450, but even if so not interested at all in testing it given how slow the graphics and SoCs with them are and no interesting benchmarks to run on it. Plus generally those interested in older Arm SoCs tend to be ad-block users.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Don't think so, I might have some old Arm SBC somewhere with Mali 400/450, but even if so not interested at all in testing it given how slow the graphics and SoCs with them are and no interesting benchmarks to run on it. Plus generally those interested in older Arm SoCs tend to be ad-block users.
            that is fair enough.

Comment

Plus generally those interested in older Arm SoCs tend to be ad-block users.
              Citation needed :P
              I'll see if I can do something on the pinephone...

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                Nice. Pinephone currently has lackluster graphics performance, let's hope some optimizations like this one will improve it.
                *sigh* It's not necessarily lima fault. It's GPU from 2008 after all, and you have to optimize your software if you want it to run smooth.

E.g. Unity from Ubuntu Touch uses older GBM API and as result uses linear buffers while GPU really expects tiled for better performance. IIRC Plasma Mobile suffers from the same issue.

Also Ubuntu Touch uses so called "uber shaders" and they're not really optimal on GPUs like Mali4x0.

Sure there are ways to optimize lima (especially GP and PP compilers) but don't expect it to get 2x-4x performance boost.

Comment

No interesting benchmarks to run on it.
                  OpenArena and SuperTuxKart work, and Xonotic probably does too.

Originally posted by Michael
                  Plus generally those interested in older Arm SoCs tend to be ad-block users.
                  Maybe that's because advertisements are too resource-intensive for them?

Comment

Originally posted by anarsoul View Post

*sigh* It's not necessarily lima fault. It's GPU from 2008 after all, and you have to optimize your software if you want it to run smooth.

E.g. Unity from Ubuntu Touch uses older GBM API and as result uses linear buffers while GPU really expects tiled for better performance. IIRC Plasma Mobile suffers from the same issue.

Also Ubuntu Touch uses so called "uber shaders" and they're not really optimal on GPUs like Mali4x0.

Sure there are ways to optimize lima (especially GP and PP compilers) but don't expect it to get 2x-4x performance boost.
                    I'm not expecting that. I know the GPU is old and slow. It's more a situation of "the hardware is slow, so we really need every last ounce of performance we can squeeze out of it".

Comment

Working...
                    X