Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.7 Staging Will Be ~28.7k Lines Of Code Lighter Thanks To Nuking WUSB + UWB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.7 Staging Will Be ~28.7k Lines Of Code Lighter Thanks To Nuking WUSB + UWB

Phoronix: Linux 5.7 Staging Will Be ~28.7k Lines Of Code Lighter Thanks To Nuking WUSB + UWB

With the Linux 5.7 kernel cycle in two months there is some "spring cleaning" within the staging area that is leading to almost twenty-nine thousand lines of code being removed thanks to removing a deprecated feature...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm a computer junkie for over 20 years now, and I can't remember seeing a single one of those things on the wild.

Comment

Every news of modernity is a good news. I hope that 32bit will be deprecated very soon, so to save time and space. Probably almost half of lines will be eliminated.

Comment

Spektrum RC gear with DSM2 protocol is based on WUSB with different radio parts for longer range. I had some great fun with wusb dev kit and spektrum receivers but never got around to put together anything useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
          Every news of modernity is a good news. I hope that 32bit will be deprecated very soon, so to save time and space. Probably almost half of lines will be eliminated.
          Although I'd like to see that too, I don't think that's going to happen for a very long time.

Comment

Isn't it still useful for low power embedded devices with less than 1GB RAM?

Comment

Probably not going to happen in near future. There was similar idea in Linux Kernel Mailing List and it was rejected by developers. Probably, if you are speaking about x86 (there is more 32 bit architectures in kernel than just x86), a lot of this code is shared with 64 bit so removing it wouldn't be so big improvement.

Comment

I'm kinda bummed that UWB did not make it into real devices en masse.
                Technically superior idea.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  I'm a computer junkie for over 20 years now, and I can't remember seeing a single one of those things on the wild.
                  I've only read about wireless USB in one computer magazine somewhere, it was a small mention of one hub using that technology. I think it died as quietly as it popped up.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

Isn't it still useful for low power embedded devices with less than 1GB RAM?
                    Most of those are ARM-based.

Comment

Working...
                    X