LLVM's Go Front-End Was Finally Dropped From The Official Source Tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM's Go Front-End Was Finally Dropped From The Official Source Tree

Phoronix: LLVM's Go Front-End Was Finally Dropped From The Official Source Tree

Most probably didn't even realize LLVM had a Go language front-end, but this past week it was dropped from the official source mono repository...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good, let Go die already.

Comment

Note that the official (and kinda, maybe, semi active) llvm go port is available at https://go.googlesource.com/gollvm/, the llgo port wasn't really supported by the Go project afaik.

Comment

There's also TinyGo but that seems a little bit different to me. The TinyGo project uses LLVM so that Go code can be used in small places like microcontrollers but I think they've had to make some significant changes that strip out Go functionality to accomplish this. The project did just this month become an official Google sponsored project though which makes me think they're doing something well.

Originally posted by xnor View Post
        Not sure why the hate against a programming language. I'm starting to learn to program right now with a Python course I've purchased and when I finish that I plan on going through the Go programming course I've also purchased.

Comment

Originally posted by xnor View Post
          Go is way too mundane to evoke such hate. When people complain about it, it's usually because they're trying to promote some other, more "fun", language where they can better "express themselves" and their managers refuse.

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
          Not sure why the hate against a programming language. I'm starting to learn to program right now with a Python course I've purchased and when I finish that I plan on going through the Go programming course I've also purchased.
          1. You can never really master more than a couple of big programming languages (C++, Java...) so even the thought of having to learn another language genuinely scares the shit out of most programmers.
          2. Your first language tends to define your preferences in syntax and tolerance to different kinds of boilerplate. People coming from C and the modula family never have problems with Go. People coming from Python tend to complain about the lack of generics. People coming from C++ miss their leaky abstractions. And then there's the two LISP guys... Just remember not to form eye contact or show them your back and you should be fine.
          Last edited by c117152; 17 February 2020, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Many adult people who are programmers learned BASIC as their first programming language during their childhood or teenage years in the 80/90-ties of the 20th century.
            Yeah and that little bit of exposure to BASIC ruined a lot of potential programmers.

As for GO I’m in the let it die camp. As noted it takes a huge amount of effort to really master a language and in GO’s case I don’t see a lot on offer to justify the effort. At least not for general purpose programming. The average programmer would be better off looking into Python & C++ first and then looking at newer languages like Swift, Rust or something else. I just don’t see the world flocking to GO.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
              2. Your first language tends to define your preferences in syntax and tolerance to different kinds of boilerplate. People coming from C and the modula family never have problems with Go. People coming from Python tend to complain about the lack of generics. People coming from C++ miss their leaky abstractions. And then there's the two LISP guys... Just remember not to form eye contact or show them your back and you should be fine.
              Well, I'm coming from "limited/not-very-using-templates" C++, on university. Professionally, I'm full Java developer. And, on go I had very missed inheritance with polymorphism, at beginning. However go's interfaces without inheritance with polymorphism, heavily enforce clean code principles, ie. SOLID. And, I still miss generics, as some code is pretty much generic, ie. collection operations.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                Yeah and that little bit of exposure to BASIC ruined a lot of potential programmers.
                BASIC was fine as long as it was treated as a script language.

As for GO I’m in the let it die camp. As noted it takes a huge amount of effort to really master a language and in GO’s case I don’t see a lot on offer to justify the effort. At least not for general purpose programming. The average programmer would be better off looking into Python & C++ first and then looking at newer languages like Swift, Rust or something else.
                Go only takes a couple of weekends if you already know Python and lets you write business grade back ends when you're done. The alternatives are months and years of C++ or Java.

I just don’t see the world flocking to GO.
                Nothing else really fills that niche without major investments in training and personal.

Regardless, we'll see after the generics land in go2.

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
                Well, I'm coming from "limited/not-very-using-templates" C++, on university.
                Academically taught C++ is a fantasy. But lets move on...

Professionally, I'm full Java developer. And, on go I had very missed inheritance with polymorphism, at beginning. However go's interfaces without inheritance with polymorphism, heavily enforce clean code principles, ie. SOLID.
                Yup. That's my point. You start out comparing to what you know. But you eventually get used to it.

And, I still miss generics, as some code is pretty much generic, ie. collection operations.
                You miss writing generics I'm sure. But do you miss reading them? In a professional settings? With a half dozen developers working on the code base for years? With decades old legacy libraries?
                I admit I miss them too at times but I don't miss delayed deadlines over a failure to trace and off-by-one generic overflow.
                Last edited by c117152; 18 February 2020, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                  1. You can never really master more than a couple of big programming languages (C++, Java...) so even the thought of having to learn another language genuinely scares the shit out of most programmers.
                  I agree on this and it is generally true but not always
                  This is my path: (Professional career) Java Developer -> Pascal Developer -> C# Developer -> Java Guru -> Golang Developer -> Rust Developer -> System Architect / Tech Lead (Basically coding anything right now)

So in some cases it might divert a bit..

Comment

Go would be a half decent programming language if it'd let me put the opening braces on a new line already.

Comment

Working...
                    X