Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam Play's Proton 5.0-3 Released With Support For Metro Exodus Direct3D 12 Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Play's Proton 5.0-3 Released With Support For Metro Exodus Direct3D 12 Mode

Phoronix: Steam Play's Proton 5.0-3 Released With Support For Metro Exodus Direct3D 12 Mode

CodeWeavers working under contract for Valve on their Wine downstream Proton is out with a new update to their Proton 5.0 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Deep silver has stated that Metro Exodus is coming to Linux so kind of moot

Comment

Why Wine and Proton? Why not just Wine and concentrate to do all the necessary efforts to get Wine-Staging patches get merged in amm extremely a lot faster and better way? What about finally solving the DXVK controversy and merge it into upstream Wine too?

Comment

After a miserable experience with Denuvo DRM with Shadow of the Tomb Raider under Wine I'll gladly wait for a native Linux port; Ferel's port was a sheer delight after that mess. When I saw that Metro Exodus was a Epic Games Store only title, I boycotted it. If it's on Steam but still requires the Epic game launcher, I think I'll pass again. I've been having to fiddle around with the temperamental Uplay launcher and have to launch Steam as well under Wine just to play Far Cry 5.

If it shows up as a native port on Steam, I'll buy it. If it shows up as a running windows game in GOG I'll buy it but not before.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          Why Wine and Proton? Why not just Wine and concentrate to do all the necessary efforts to get Wine-Staging patches get merged in amm extremely a lot faster and better way? What about finally solving the DXVK controversy and merge it into upstream Wine too?
          Proton has steam specific stuff in there and work done on proton ends up being merged back into wine, unless a better solution in wine comes along. I very much doubt DXVK will become part of wine, they seem determined to go ahead with their own Vulkan interpretation, which seems like a waste of resources, but its totally upto codeweavers what they choose to work on.

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post

Proton has steam specific stuff in there and work done on proton ends up being merged back into wine, unless a better solution in wine comes along. I very much doubt DXVK will become part of wine, they seem determined to go ahead with their own Vulkan interpretation, which seems like a waste of resources, but its totally upto codeweavers what they choose to work on.
            If I'm not mistaken they work on their own DX12 to Vulkan since they want to support also DX12 applications and not just games while DXVK is targeted only at games, there is a comment from the DXVK developer somewhere here on Phoronix where he himself says that the Wine route is the better one in the long run.

Comment

Because Valve and CodeWeavers want to apply their patches now and not just hope that Wine someday, somehow accepts them all upstream and in a timely manner. And DXVK will never be merged upstream.

Comment

DXVK was created for DX10 and DX11 then it merged D9VK. The developer of DXVK said that the project was a dead end from the beginning and now is working on a better solution.

The guy only wanted to play NieR: Automata on Linux ant the ball kept rolling.

Comment

What about finally solving the DXVK controversy and merge it into upstream Wine too?
                  Well, DXVK isn't that ideal. Comparing to Wine implementation it's still pretty new project and it's focused basically only on games while Wine isn't only about games. It also has some problems with 32 bit games (on DXVK wiki it's recommended to use wined3d for 32 bit games). Even DXVK creator and main developer said it became "fragile, unreliable and frustrating maintenance nightmare". I think there is some sense adding Vulkan to wined3d since it's developed for years. Of course, maybe everyone should focus on improving DXVK but maybe adding Vulkan backend to Wine isn't bad idea at all. Who knows, maybe it will be working better than DXVK?

Originally posted by Imout0 View Post
                  DXVK was created for DX10 and DX11 then it merged D9VK.
                  DXVK was created for DX11. Support for DX10 was added later.

Comment

Surprised Metro doesn't have Vulkan API baked in.

Comment

Working...
                    X