GhostBSD 20.02 Brings Custom ZFS Partition Editor, Updater Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GhostBSD 20.02 Brings Custom ZFS Partition Editor, Updater Improvements

Phoronix: GhostBSD 20.02 Brings Custom ZFS Partition Editor, Updater Improvements

For those looking to experiment with a BSD-based desktop open-source platform, GhostBSD has been competing well as one of the few in this field. GhostBSD 20.02 is out and continues being based on TrueOS/FreeBSD stable packages while shipping the GTK-based MATE desktop environment as its out-of-the-box desktop solution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At the while, the installer seems to be in really-early alpha stage, it doesn't allow to choose if we want the ZFS compression (and which?) or not as it forces lz4 compression, and doesn't have option for encryption. It's also limited on GPT installation, as only "auto" button is active, opening the new-partition window, but after we choose any FS we can't add any as Add button doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
      At the while, the installer seems to be in really-early alpha stage, it doesn't allow to choose if we want the ZFS compression (and which?) or not as it forces lz4 compression, and doesn't have option for encryption. It's also limited on GPT installation, as only "auto" button is active, opening the new-partition window, but after we choose any FS we can't add any as Add button doesn't work.
      On encryption -- I'm guessing because ZoL uses OpenZFS's encryption implementation and OpenBSD uses GELI for encryption...or the BSD analog to LUKS. I can understand them not wanting to bother with encryption until the OpenBSD implementation of OpenZFS supports that encryption method w/o having to use git builds; hopefully within the next few OpenZFS releases.

As for the rest, I agree that it looks like it's in a pretty early state. They have to start somewhere.

FWIW, as a ZFS user, there really isn't a point in gzip9 and whatnot on a desktop system. LZ4 is good enough, and IMHO, better than everything else offered unless you need gzip 9 for archival purposes. That is until Zstd arrives in OpenZFS and gives a reason for desktop users to want something different like fast 1000 or regular 2 (they both benchmark well). Until then and for their current testing purposes, nothing wrong with hardcoding in LZ4.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

On encryption -- I'm guessing because ZoL uses OpenZFS's encryption implementation and OpenBSD uses GELI for encryption...or the BSD analog to LUKS. I can understand them not wanting to bother with encryption until the OpenBSD implementation of OpenZFS supports that encryption method w/o having to use git builds; hopefully within the next few OpenZFS releases.

As for the rest, I agree that it looks like it's in a pretty early state. They have to start somewhere.

FWIW, as a ZFS user, there really isn't a point in gzip9 and whatnot on a desktop system. LZ4 is good enough, and IMHO, better than everything else offered unless you need gzip 9 for archival purposes. That is until Zstd arrives in OpenZFS and gives a reason for desktop users to want something different like fast 1000 or regular 2 (they both benchmark well). Until then and for their current testing purposes, nothing wrong with hardcoding in LZ4.
        Yes, this looks like an intermediary stage and it's a good one. Ubuntu needs these same options. It's a bit of a challenge as ZFS is so flexible and different from other filesystems. Ex: "Partitions? We don't need no stinking disk partitions!" I haven't really seen a flexible graphical ZFS installer yet but baby steps are good.

As for ZoL features in FreeBSD.. Yes, they are coming. Not sure if they will make FreeBSD 13 but they are coming. (You can mount ZoL pools now but not install to it) FreeBSD is pretty conservative with RELEASE branch.

We might see FreeNAS get them first.

Hmm.. I might run GhostBSD for a while.. it's looking pretty good. +1
        Last edited by k1e0x; 02 March 2020, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Ehm? OpenBSD??? Mixed OS'es up there..

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Ehm? OpenBSD??? Mixed OS'es up there..
            Lol. All that OpenZFS talk confused me

Comment

Working...
            X