Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Expands Their Lineup Of Hand-Built Thelio Computer Cases

Phoronix: System76 Expands Their Lineup Of Hand-Built Thelio Computer Cases

In our many benchmarks of the System76 Thelio Major over the past month (and more on the way!) with the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X, besides the shear power of that 64-core / 128-thread processor, many are quick to comment on the pictures of the System76 chassis that they manufacturer in-house. This week the company is expanding their line-up of System76 Thelio cases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

InWin showed off a line of PC cases with various wood trims at Computex back in 2017.

Today you can get their 301 or A1 with wood trim, but not as much coverage as the System76 case.

It does add a sense of elegance to the case if the wood is sanded and stained properly. Depending on the type wood it will add weight too.

Comment

They should offer a better I/O connections in the front. To pay such high prices on these and had to reach behind the chassis to connect anything is ridiculous.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        From the System76 configuration page will allow the users choose any of the new veener finishes,

Comment

what a pointless thing to do (these cases)

Comment

I really wish they sold these separately, they look so nice!

Comment

Originally posted by lindgrenj6 View Post
              I really wish they sold these separately, they look so nice!
              For sure, I'd pay $300 today if I could buy just the case. Looks amazing, way better than the tempered glass & carnival lights of the "gamer" cases. I wonder if they're planning a mini ITX version?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                They should offer a better I/O connections in the front. To pay such high prices on these and had to reach behind the chassis to connect anything is ridiculous.
                You're not paying high prices for the parts. You're paying for the labor and system integration plus support. I recently priced a System76 and the difference between buying the parts and assembling myself, and paying System76 to do it for you is roughly what it would cost to pay me to assemble a system for a client at going labor rates in this area for skilled work.

The only reason I haven't bought a system from them is because they didn't have the options I was particularly looking for in a desktop. If I were cool with their selections I'd have bought one and saved myself the headache of integration, and screwing with RMAs should the memory or motherboard be bad (the two things I've found most likely to be DOA in self builds).

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                  what a pointless thing to do (these cases)
                  Not reALly wood on the cases should dampen noise. In an ideal world the entire case would be wood. Of course wood can’t shield EMI so that is an issue. In any event as somebody else mentioned it is better than the carnival lights.

Comment

Lining a wood case with something to shield EMI isn't that hard - guitars do it for their electronics all the time. Well, good ones do...

I'm actually quite impressed with their prices - they're reasonable for a pre-built. If I factor in the fancy case, it becomes better. I could do something similar myself but would take a fair few hours at [whatever my time is worth].

Sadly, though, I will never buy one of their systems even if I had the money as I'm not in ConUS.

Comment

Working...
                    X