Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam For Linux Beta Finally Fixes Post-Login Annoyance

Phoronix: Steam For Linux Beta Finally Fixes Post-Login Annoyance

Valve has finally fixed an annoying bit about logging into the Steam client from the Linux desktop in recent months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They should also fix pre-login annoyance. After so many years, the client still steals focus 147613 times until it fully starts up.

Comment

I've never had issues with the keyring. However, it takes forever to start up.

Comment

I use a passwordless KWallet. Perhaps that's why I never hit this bug.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          They should also fix pre-login annoyance. After so many years, the client still steals focus 147613 times until it fully starts up.
          Which window manager are you using? Apparently that's enough of a problem across various applications that various WMs have focus-stealing prevention functionality. (And I suspect it's also one of the inspirations for Wayland's push to de-privilege applications.)

Comment

And unneeded package reextraction which is annoying the most, but currently possible to skip by adding to autostart entry with command
            Code:
            (your favorite terminal) -e bash /home/$LOGNAME/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh
            or starting Steam from it, but it has to be started in terminal, as i noticed that if it's autostarted without terminal, it runs "steam" command which reextracts anyway.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I was using the "--password-store=basic" flag on chromium to stop this annoyance. Removed it and checked, no more annoyance.

Comment

Same for other applications like Android Studio. Honestly, all DEs and WMs should do away with focus stealing. It's annoying.

Comment

It never once happened to me on GNOME 3; strangely Chromium (the pure browser) asks me the keyring password every time I launch it.

Comment

I just set my login keyring to an empty password since I'm already using auto-login anyways and never had this problem. Only issue I run into is when I logout and back in then it sets a password on my keying so I have to go unset it again.

Comment

Working...
                    X