Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2FS vs. EXT4 File-System Performance With Intel's Clear Linux

Phoronix: F2FS vs. EXT4 File-System Performance With Intel's Clear Linux

Intel's performance-oriented Clear Linux distribution recently added support for using F2FS as the root file-system so we were curious to run some benchmarks on it for how it stacks up against EXT4.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ext4 came out 2% faster than ext4?

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
      ext4 came out 2% faster than ext4?
      Heh, typo, fixed. Thanks.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Impressive how F2FS has improved over time. For my personal use I have btrfs as my go-to filesystem. It is fast enough and gives me very easy backup options and flexibility to move between different disks etc.

Thanks for the review.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Heh, typo, fixed. Thanks.

Slowly taking away my place....
          Last edited by tildearrow; 06 March 2020, 02:46 PM.

Comment

On the topic of other features, I've noticed that a thrashed ext4 drive hurts GUI responsiveness more than on a taxed F2FS or XFS filesystem. Anyone else notice this, or have any insight?

Comment

What are the reasons for using F2FS right now as compared to ext4? On which media would it be beneficial and why?

I agree that the results are impressive, it is very hard to compete with ext4. On the other hand, where does the advantage of being tailored to flash storage show?

Comment

Well, I was a little disappointed with the results especially after seeing the latest file system benchmark made by Michael, where The F2FS came out ahead in most tests.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...esystems&num=1

Comment

Originally posted by ypnos View Post
                  What are the reasons for using F2FS right now as compared to ext4? On which media would it be beneficial and why?

I agree that the results are impressive, it is very hard to compete with ext4. On the other hand, where does the advantage of being tailored to flash storage show?
                  Theoretically it's about improving endurance rather than performance, no?

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post

Theoretically it's about improving endurance rather than performance, no?
                    Theoretically it's designed with the unique issues of a NAND flash based storage device in mind, data integrity, endurance, administrative layout, hardware design, etc.

Some of the implemented and future features echo ZFS and BtrFS.

Comment

Working...
                    X