Proton 5.0-4 Released With DXVK 1.5.5, Denuvo Fixes, Performance Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proton 5.0-4 Released With DXVK 1.5.5, Denuvo Fixes, Performance Work

Phoronix: Proton 5.0-4 Released With DXVK 1.5.5, Denuvo Fixes, Performance Work

Proton 5.0-4 is out as Valve's Wine-based layer for running Windows games on Linux via Steam Play...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still waiting for Battleye and EAC support.

Comment

Weird, it has not been tagged in git yet.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Getting DRMs to work is a big deal. From what I've found, the vast majority of games that don't run at all is because of DRMs, so for every DRM that is crossed off the list, that unlocks a whole lot more playable games.

Though for me personally... I just download the cracked binaries of the games and leave the rest of it alone so I can skip over the DRMs. I got maybe 8 or so of my games to run by doing that.

Comment

@shmidtbag,

I was also forced to use retail version of AoE III + patches + crack, because it simply doesn't work for me under Proton.

The error is
          could not load datap.bar
          Which is known issue on modern Windows versions, but Windows instructions doesn't fix problem for me.

Comment

Good to hear that they're finally able to get around issues with Denuvo. Considering all of the issues it's caused Windows users over the years it's unfortunately only natural that we'd get it even worse when trying to run those games trough Wine.

On the bright side at least we haven't had Starforce bricking people's optical disc drives.

Comment

BTW, I became famous in froggies discord because of my Proton FR to add ability to use Proton on Windows. There is simply a lot of games that work better on Wine/Linux then on Win10.

Please upvote: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/2475

Comment

Originally posted by yurikoles View Post
                BTW, I became famous in froggies discord because of my Proton FR to add ability to use Proton on Windows. There is simply a lot of games that work better on Wine/Linux then on Win10.

Please upvote: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/2475
                Wine isn't really setup for Windows (it doesn't even really support NTFS) but using WSL its kind of possible https://liliputing.com/2019/08/wine-...for-linux.html

I would think, anything else, it would need cygwin (another thing to slow it down and add more problems) or be ported (probably a lot of work).

Nice it would be, but Wine just taking Linux into consideration, already consumes a super ton of work and has constant regressions. If they added Windows, it would probably get much worse and you wouldn't want that. So you would need new devs, not the current ones.

Can't say that I've seen much work better on Proton than Windows if anything once digging deeper. I wouldn't upvote this.

I would think the best course is for WSL to improve.
                Last edited by ix900; 11 March 2020, 10:12 AM.

Comment

ix900
                  ​​​​​​​WINE on Windows host is already supported upstream, it's just not so polished as on POSIX environment.

Comment

Not wine per se, but you can use wine libraries or stuff like winevdm. Unless you mean using WSL, but then you don't have GPU acceleration, sound?, not even a display (you need a X server).

Why don't you explain clearly what you mean by running wine on windows?

Comment

Working...
                    X