Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 9.3 Compiler Released With Over 150 Bug Fixes

Phoronix: GCC 9.3 Compiler Released With Over 150 Bug Fixes

Following last week's release of GCC 8.4, the GCC 9.3 compiler is out in offering the latest fixes to the newer (and current) GCC 9 compiler series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"..while GCC 10 will be releasing soon as the next feature release."

"GCC 10.1 as the first stable release of the GCC 10 series is tentatively expected for release in 2020."

I thought any new GCC major release would get the .1 patch level by default when it's released.
    Any change in the numbering scheme?

Comment

Originally posted by GdeR View Post
      I thought any new GCC major release would get the .1 patch level by default when it's released.
      Any change in the numbering scheme?
      Could you be confusing this with the GIT versions? The GIT versions of GCC always get a .1 appended, i.e. 9.2.1 now becomes 9.3.1 after this release.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
        Could you be confusing this with the GIT versions? The GIT versions of GCC always get a .1 appended, i.e. 9.2.1 now becomes 9.3.1 after this release.
        The numbering scheme I'm referring to predates the transition to git. Since version 5, every new major release is always a X.1.0.
        The first release of GCC 9 was 9.1.0, then 9.2.0 and 9.3.0. If you download the source from the branch tag instead of the release tag,
        then you get the extra .1 just as you said. Currently you'd get the 9.3.1, but that's another story. The article is kinda implying that
        the next major release will be 10.0, while 10.1 will be released later in 2020. But that's not the case because we are going to have
        version 10.1 (more precisely 10.1.0) since day one.
        Last edited by GdeR; 12 March 2020, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GdeR View Post
          ... The article is kinda implying that
          the next major release will be 10.0, while 10.1 will be released later in 2020. ...
          This I believe is right. The next major release is indeed 10 and the development version that's currently available is "10.0.1". There only isn't a "10.0.0".

Comment

Working...
          X