PAPPL Is A New Printer Application Framework Made By The Founder Of CUPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAPPL Is A New Printer Application Framework Made By The Founder Of CUPS

Phoronix: PAPPL Is A New Printer Application Framework Made By The Founder Of CUPS

Back in January we reported on the lead developer of hte CUPS printing system quitting Apple and following that he began development of LPrint as a new label printer software solution for Linux and macOS. It turns out he has another software projects in the works too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hate it already. Should have named it LIPPL or LUPPL. Or better yet, license it under the GPL and call it GNUPPL

Comment

...lead developer of hte CUPS printing

(5char)

Comment

Is this going to split the printer framework stack in Linux + macOS + BSD into PAPPL vs CUPS now?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          Is this going to split the printer framework stack in Linux + macOS + BSD into PAPPL vs CUPS now?
          It seems so, if it keeps ppd files compatibility and provides better network functionality I'm open to receive it

Comment

Does LPrint have feature completeness or is it alpha-quality label printing that works with like 2 brands and three models?

It seems like LPrint was only recently reported on first a very short time ago. To jump ship so fast makes me worry that its in an incomplete state. I'm just asking, not accusing, as I honestly do not know. Anybody used it?

Michael, this might seem less exciting than gaming benchmarks and 64 core threadrippers but could you(consider!) do a quick review of LPrint? I don't have a spare label printer of my own laying around hopefully you do.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
              Does LPrint have feature completeness or is it alpha-quality label printing that works with like 2 brands and three models?

It seems like LPrint was only recently reported on first a very short time ago. To jump ship so fast makes me worry that its in an incomplete state. I'm just asking, not accusing, as I honestly do not know. Anybody used it?

Michael, this might seem less exciting than gaming benchmarks and 64 core threadrippers but could you(consider!) do a quick review of LPrint? I don't have a spare label printer of my own laying around hopefully you do.
              Unfortunately I have no label makers around and on the printer front the last time I received a printer was from Lexmark in 2010 and hence why those hardware components aren't covered much here.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                I hate it already. Should have named it LIPPL or LUPPL. Or better yet, license it under the GPL and call it GNUPPL
                At the least, sounds like "papel" which means paper in Portuguese

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post

It seems so, if it keeps ppd files compatibility and provides better network functionality I'm open to receive it
                  my body is ready

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

At the least, sounds like "papel" which means paper in Portuguese
                    También significa "papel" en español, and some other Romance languages.

Comment

Working...
                    X