AMD Begins Focusing On Bug Fixes For Linux 5.7 Graphics Driver Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Begins Focusing On Bug Fixes For Linux 5.7 Graphics Driver Code

Phoronix: AMD Begins Focusing On Bug Fixes For Linux 5.7 Graphics Driver Code

Passing the point that new feature code is generally permitted into DRM-Next for in turn hitting the next mainline kernel merge window, AMD's open-source graphics driver developers have been turning their attention to bug fixes for all the new feature code set for Linux 5.7...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well,... I hope, there will be fix for the bug causing black screen after waking up from sleep. It happens to me maybe once per ~15 sleep resumes, on Ryzen 2700U PRO,... It's pretty much annoying, as I must restart computer and reopen all applications.

Comment

Hmm... when they will fix the Zero RPM feature that doesn't work on Linux, meaning more noise and more useless power consumption ?

Comment

Shouldn't that be part of the card vendors firmware?
        (ZeroRPM works fine for my 5700XT)

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
          Well,... I hope, there will be fix for the bug causing black screen after waking up from sleep. It happens to me maybe once per ~15 sleep resumes, on Ryzen 2700U PRO,... It's pretty much annoying, as I must restart computer and reopen all applications.
          I have exactly the same CPU on a HP Elitebook 755 G5, but I never encountered this issue. Running on the latest Fedora since I bought it over a year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
            I have a HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15-cp0xxx with Ryzen 7 2700u (non pro). Mine used to have similar symptoms as yours.
            Using the following grub arguments on fedora, made it stable:
            no_console_suspend amdgpu.gpu_recovery=1 init_on_free=0

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post

I have exactly the same CPU on a HP Elitebook 755 G5, but I never encountered this issue. Running on the latest Fedora since I bought it over a year ago.
              I've got Lenovo A485 and Ubuntu 19.10 (probably there are some driver differences,...).

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post

I have a HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15-cp0xxx with Ryzen 7 2700u (non pro). Mine used to have similar symptoms as yours.
              Using the following grub arguments on fedora, made it stable:
              Thanks, I'll try adding this to grub:

Code:
              no_console_suspend amdgpu.gpu_recovery=1 init_on_free=0

Comment

Re: the work to get HDCP support ready for Renoir/Picasso...

Will this also include the various Navi GPU's, or is it limited to APU's?

i.e. Perhaps because it is easier to content-lock the video pipeline if that is a single integrated product (as first happened with kabylake), rather than discrete CPU+GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post
                  Shouldn't that be part of the card vendors firmware?
                  (ZeroRPM works fine for my 5700XT)
                  What are some caveats with your 5700xt? Freesync working ok on the 5700xt yet? I ordered a Gigabyte 5700xt then canceled later on in the day. I just felt, "not yet, wait for some verification from those brazen good ladies and gents diving into uncharted territory". I am at the point where I feel maybe I should wait at least until stuff is supported to the level of a rx580 and price drops.

I know the rx580 is one great gpu but am on a gtx 1070 right now and want an upgrade but I still don't feel the time is right just yet but think it's only a number of months away before stuff gets really solid for the 5700xt and cheaper.

Just wanted to know your experience at the moment as a current owner.

Thank you.
                  Last edited by creative; 20 March 2020, 04:04 PM.

Comment

I had to disable AMDGPU.dc for my multi-monitor setup to work with my R9 285. Is this getting fixed anytime soon?

Comment

Working...
                    X