Proton 5.0-5 Brings Support For Newer Vulkan Extensions, Fixes Game Crashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proton 5.0-5 Brings Support For Newer Vulkan Extensions, Fixes Game Crashes

Phoronix: Proton 5.0-5 Brings Support For Newer Vulkan Extensions, Fixes Game Crashes

As another update to their Wine-based Proton 5.0 series for powering Steam Play, Valve has been readying their next update for enhancing the experience of running Windows games on Linux under Steam...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if there is a way they can or will speed up translation. I know on Deus Ex Mankind Divided I had to reduce the textures and turn down a number of things (unnoticeable for the most part) to the point of—close to zero translation latency.

Noticed the Windows port has the same stuff going on in it as Linux native's graphical artifacts 'which proves to me it's a game engine thing', it's just that Vulkan can run the game much faster with proton after optimizing the game settings.

At any rate I am very thankful that valve is going after and freeing up the choke-hold that Microsoft has held so tightly on PC gaming.

Incredibly impressed with most the results I have obtained in games.

Deus EX Mankind Divided

Benchmark Results@1080p

Average: 80.1 FPS
    Minimum: 62.5 FPS
    Maximum: 103.4 FPS

Light system information: R5 3600, GTX 1070

Results after mixed-mode adjustments for low translation latency, game looks very nice. I could not have obtained this level of performance if it were not for Proton.

Gaming on Linux is incredibly important and is a required staple in the consumer space for Linux users.

Thank you Valve!

Now to go play some Metro Exodus.
    Last edited by creative; 21 March 2020, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Oh and before I leave this comments area for a bit.

You know you have a killer gaming system when you can play the Dark Souls trilogy on your operating system and right now Linux does that with ease.

Comment

Working...
      X