Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even Apple Is Interested In Migrating Their C Code To Rust

Phoronix: Even Apple Is Interesting In Migrating Their C Code To Rust

Even Apple is on the bandwagon of transitioning select C code-bases of theirs over to Rust as well as expanding the code they are writing in Rust...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Even Apple Is Interesting In Migrating Their C Code To Rust"

No, Apple really isn't that interesting anymore.

Comment

What? No objective c? No swift? What a shame...

Comment

So Rust will go down the path of CUPS?

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
          So Rust will go down the path of CUPS?
          Rust is not developed and Maintained by one Person.

Comment

Some people, when confronted with a low-level programming task, think "I know, I'll use Rust." Now they have two... no, wait, that's actually a good idea.

Comment

There hasn't been a programming language that has beaten C in speed and energy usage yet. Rust is impressive and is the closest thing out right now. But it's not C.

Comment

That its not C is a Pro Argument. And Rust is one of the only alternatives that is secure and capable to replace C

Comment

Originally posted by r08z View Post
                  Rust is impressive and is the closest thing out right now. But it's not C.
                  This is a critical "flaw" in all other languages. Not being C makes a language annoying for systems development because we need to either write our own bindings, or drag in a dependency on someone elses bindings (often out of date and unmaintained).

C++ and Objective-C are the closest because they are C (mostly); and they extend it. Then I just need to write thin safety (RAII) wrappers.

If Rust could directly consume C headers and link against C libraries; it would be a game changer.
                  Last edited by kpedersen; 21 March 2020, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by r08z View Post
                    There hasn't been a programming language that has beaten C in speed and energy usage yet. Rust is impressive and is the closest thing out right now. But it's not C.
                    Well, that's really close. What is Mb column? Program size? Also what is the source for that image? I'd like to take a better look how that comparison was made.

Comment

Working...
                    X