No announcement yet.

System76 May Offer AMD Ryzen Laptops When They Begin Their Own Manufacturing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 May Offer AMD Ryzen Laptops When They Begin Their Own Manufacturing

Phoronix: System76 May Offer AMD Ryzen Laptops When They Begin Their Own Manufacturing

System76 is preparing to begin shipping their new Lemur Pro laptop in early April. This will be their most open laptop yet albeit still based on Intel. But it looks like when they move on with their ambitious plans to begin manufacturing their own devices, we may finally see a System76 AMD-powered laptop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

These are Comet Lake, 14nm CPUs still (also known as 14nm+++++). For reference, Broadwell in 2015 was 14 nm.
    Do these at least come with hardware mitigations?

It seems to me Ryzen CPUs are the way to go, I hope the "we are looking into it" is real, and rather short term.

Comment

I'm still curious if this has any implications for coreboot / oreboot, given that some of System76 laptops based of of Intel do rely on Coreboot.

Comment

I've always wanted to support a strong Linux hardware vendor. They need AMD options to get my support though.

Comment

What is the placement of speakers? I accept speakers only right in front of the screen.

Comment

I'd be really interested in that.

Comment

To bad i can't choose a native keyboard from System 76

Comment

AMD + open firmware in a Linux-friendly laptop = 💓

Comment

Originally posted by Rexerex View Post
                  What is the placement of speakers? I accept speakers only right in front of the screen.
                  How do you see the screen then?

Comment

Originally posted by Slithery View Post

How do you see the screen then?
                    That's what the little holes on the speakers is for.

Comment

Working...
                    X