Ubuntu 18.04/19.10/20.04 vs. Debian 10/Testing Benchmarks On AMD Ryzen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 18.04/19.10/20.04 vs. Debian 10/Testing Benchmarks On AMD Ryzen

Phoronix: Ubuntu 18.04/19.10/20.04 vs. Debian 10/Testing Benchmarks On AMD Ryzen

While Ubuntu is based on Debian, for those wondering how the performance of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS is looking not only compared to the previous 19.10 and 18.04.4 LTS releases but also Debian 10.3 stable and Debian Testing, here are some benchmark results on an AMD Ryzen 9 3900X system.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Debian testing is lagging behind kernel releases for some reason. It's not even on 5.5.x yet. I build latest kernels explicitly because of that.

Comment

Interesting data. I am using Debian testing and it is interested to see how it is positioned against regular Debian and Ubuntu. Just after reading this paper it seems a bit counter-intuitive (while mathematically correct) - leading for the number of the first places, Debian testing loses a bit for a geometrical mean. Ubuntu 20.04 took 4th place for the number of the first places, but won geo-mean. It would be nice to see graphical representation of all tests used for a geometrical mean calculation, e.g. take Ubuntu 20.04 as the baseline and show difference (in %) for other 4 distros over all tests.

Comment

nice test... would be good to have fedora31/32 in the test.

i tested fedora31 month ago and now i am on debian11... one is clear fedora is really the reference linux.
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Question is, how does Windows fit in all this?

Comment

Does anybody know what the fuck is happening with Ubuntu 20.04? I was running the dev version and updated regularly. Around days ago the update failed in a way that I coudln't fix because of stupid dependency conflicts. This left my system unbootable. Since then, the min.iso install doesn't work (neither doesn the direct kernel boot for the net installer), the daily server install image doesn't work, the daily desktop image has not been updated since March 15th, the Kubuntu desktop image fails the internal integrity checks and fails to install because of screwed up content. WTF?! What the Actual FUCK!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kobblestown View Post
              Does anybody know what the fuck is happening with Ubuntu 20.04? I was running the dev version and updated regularly. Around days ago the update failed in a way that I coudln't fix because of stupid dependency conflicts. This left my system unbootable. Since then, the min.iso install doesn't work (neither doesn the direct kernel boot for the net installer), the daily server install image doesn't work, the daily desktop image has not been updated since March 15th, the Kubuntu desktop image fails the internal integrity checks and fails to install because of screwed up content. WTF?! What the Actual FUCK!!!!
              It hasn't been released, it's still in development. Such problems are to be expected.
              Last edited by fakenmc; 23 March 2020, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Ubi 20.04 works fine now.

Comment

Working...
                X