Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2FS File-System Adding Zstd Compression Support In Linux 5.7

Phoronix: F2FS File-System Adding Zstd Compression Support In Linux 5.7

Being introduced by Linux 5.6 is optional F2FS transparent data compression support that was implemented with LZO and LZ4. Now for the Linux 5.7 kernel there is Zstd compression support on the way...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice, but there is one key ingredient missing: lack of U-Boot support. Unless that's patched in many IoT devices will not use it. I myself kept to ext4 because I want the boot files in filesystem.

Comment

Originally posted by jaskij View Post
      Nice, but there is one key ingredient missing: lack of U-Boot support. Unless that's patched in many IoT devices will not use it. I myself kept to ext4 because I want the boot files in filesystem.
      Why cant *Buzzword* devices not use a boot partition? Its the sane thing to do, along with having your basic rootfs as read-only squashfs/erofs.

Comment

what i have a hard time understanding is the lack of transparent compression on ext4 and xfs

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
          what i have a hard time understanding is the lack of transparent compression on ext4 and xfs
          That. I always find myself going back to ZFS or BTRFS because of that one feature.

I'm hoping that Stratis will assist XFS in getting that feature.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
            Why cant *Buzzword* devices not use a boot partition? Its the sane thing to do, along with having your basic rootfs as read-only squashfs/erofs.
            U-Boot doesn't even need a partition, just offset for downloading binaries from a block device.

Comment

Working...
            X