Ubuntu 20.04 GNOME X.Org vs. Wayland Session Performance Impact For Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 20.04 GNOME X.Org vs. Wayland Session Performance Impact For Gaming

Phoronix: Ubuntu 20.04 GNOME X.Org vs. Wayland Session Performance Impact For Gaming

In the past using the Wayland-based GNOME Shell session and other Wayland compositors has generally resulted in a performance hit in going through (X)Wayland but that is much less so these days. Here are some initial benchmarks of Ubuntu 20.04 running various Steam Linux gaming benchmarks both under the default X.Org-based session and then again when using the Wayland session and its (X)Wayland support.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte...e_requests/798 didn't make it into 3.36 (partly because of a Xwayland bug) - after it lands things should be equal at last. With the ongoing atomic mode-setting work, we might see hardware plane usage in 3.38 - giving the Wayland backend an edge over the X11 one.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: Ubuntu 20.04 GNOME X.Org vs. Wayland Session Performance Impact For Gaming

In the past using the Wayland-based GNOME Shell session and other Wayland compositors has generally resulted in a performance hit in going through (X)Wayland but that is much less so these days. Here are some initial benchmarks of Ubuntu 20.04 running various Steam Linux gaming benchmarks both under the default X.Org-based session and then again when using the Wayland session and its (X)Wayland support.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=29015
      One thing that is hard to see in these graphs is the heavy stuttering under wayland + very high input lag and cursor stuttering making it unusable

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        So basically no difference..

Originally posted by treba View Post
        Too bad https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte...e_requests/798 didn't make it into 3.36 (partly because of a Xwayland bug) - after it lands things should be equal at last. With the ongoing atomic mode-setting work, we might see hardware plane usage in 3.38 - giving the Wayland backend an edge over the X11 one.
        Its embarrassing that after 15 years of development and millions spent, the supposedly superior wayland still cannot beat the "old and bloated X", not in performance or features.

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post

Its embarrassing that after 15 years of development and millions spent, the supposedly superior wayland still cannot beat the "old and bloated X", not in performance or features.
          I don't think you know anything about either X or Wayland.

Comment

One thing that is hard to see in these graphs is the heavy stuttering under wayland + very high input lag and cursor stuttering making it unusable
            Except that full-screen unredirection mitigates the problem for full-screen apps.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I don't think you know anything about either X or Wayland.
              Where is my wlrandr?
              My wdotool?
              Wayland capture? (let me propose a name: wsnoop)
              A standard non-GNOME-specific way to have clipboard?
              SSD for Wayland apps?

Comment

This is basically running X11 games under wayland.
                DOH!

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Where is my wlrandr?
                  My wdotool?
                  SSD for Wayland apps?
                  Where is my font rendering?
                  My primitive rendering?
                  My Wprint? Seriously, Wayland can't do fax?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Where is my wlrandr?
                    My wdotool?
                    SSD for Wayland apps?
                    For server side decoration, there is an xdg protocol for that. wlroots and kwin-wayland implements it. GNOME deliberately refused to implement the protocol because they prefer all clients to render their own decorations.

Screen capture works in wayland using pipewire or via KMS directly.

Comment

Working...
                    X