Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs File-System Updates Land In Linux 5.7

Phoronix: Btrfs File-System Updates Land In Linux 5.7

SUSE's David Sterba sent in the Btrfs file-system updates this week for the Linux 5.7 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No surprise that the distribution with the best OOTB BTRFS setup makes BTRFS even better. Thanks David.

Does anyone know if case insensitivity work is being done for BTRFS? That's the one feature that makes me still consider XFS or EXT4 for Linux drives since it's handy for game modding.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      Does anyone know if case insensitivity work is being done for BTRFS? That's the one feature that makes me still consider XFS or EXT4 for Linux drives since it's handy for game modding.
      Can you explain this? I still don't get it, what case insensitivity is useful for.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post

Can you explain this? I still don't get it, what case insensitivity is useful for.
        Case insensitivity is nice for running / hosting servers for Windows games which use direct system IO, where modders haven't correctly cased file paths in their mods - as Windows doesn't require it.
        Garry's Mod used to be a good example of such a game that caused issues when hosting servers on Linux, but they switched to a virtual filesystem over a decade ago so it's not a problem in there anymore.

Comment

For me it's game mods. I'll extract one mod and it'll have Folder A, the next mod has Folder a, the next one has folder A, and a fourth one has folder a. On Windows, those are all the same directory where as on Linux it's four directories. When you go to mod Windows games on Linux, it gets old fast dealing with that when it's a game like Skyrim or Morrowind and you have hundreds of mods with hundreds of folders and file names each.

Comment

If you export with Samba you can do case mangling independent on fs support.

You can even mount your Samba share locally if you're doing your modding in Linux.
            Last edited by S.Pam; 02 April 2020, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Why I should treat "Letter.txt" and "letter.TXT" as totally different files?

I've switched bash autocompletion to case insensitive months ago and now I'm considering to switch my home directory (on ext4) to case insensitive.
              Last edited by dragon321; 02 April 2020, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Somewhat useful for running software that's made for other operating systems or filesystems that are case insensitive.

e.g. Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
                  Why I should treat "Letter.txt" and "letter.TXT" as totally different files?
                  You should not.

You may also prefer to view things in grayscale.
                  But colours give you so much more possibilities and may be so beautiful...

Comment

The word "wine" is different from "Wine". Following the capitalization rules is really advisable when writing; it also has its advantages, of course.

P.S. I'm open to corrections in my use of English, of course :-)
                    Last edited by Nth_man; 02 April 2020, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X