No announcement yet.

Mesa OpenGL Threading Enabled For More Games Yielding Sizable Performance Jumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa OpenGL Threading Enabled For More Games Yielding Sizable Performance Jumps

Phoronix: Mesa OpenGL Threading Enabled For More Games Yielding Sizable Performance Jumps

Well known open-source AMD OpenGL driver developer Marek Olšák has enabled more Linux games to run with Mesa's GLTHREAD functionality enabled for helping with the performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

that is massive

Comment

I just enable it for all games. Never had a problem in any game until now. It really does help, it is noticeable.

Comment

Note that there is yet another MR around glthread with substantial improvements:

It definitely might make sense to enable it by default soon, at least for games.

Comment

I wonder how the latest xplane runs on mesa these days... they still diss the Mesa driver on their requirements/recommendations page it would be nice if that could get laid to rest.

I imagine GL threading, and culling akin to what CAD needs may work wonders there.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
            I just enable it for all games. Never had a problem in any game until now. It really does help, it is noticeable.
            At some point they will.... probably still with a swtich to turn it off, but it's best if it is well tested first otherwise you end up with potentialy graphical glitches for a large percentage of users since not everybody runs the same software.

Also we know Nvidia does GL threading and most softwares support that you just have to make sure that it is working correctly and that takes time.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
              When this was new, a Feral developer jumped in the forums to explain this is not needed in their ports, because they already do it internally. And this can in fact drop performance on games that do not need it.

Today games that need this are less and less, especially after Aspyr and VP stopped porting games to Linux, while Unity based games (the majority of Linux game base) are multi-threaded by default.

Comment

old intel driver will benefits from this ?

Comment

I enabled it for all my games/software through /etc/environment

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

When this was new, a Feral developer jumped in the forums to explain this is not needed in their ports, because they already do it internally. And this can in fact drop performance on games that do not need it.

Today games that need this are less and less, especially after Aspyr and VP stopped porting games to Linux, while Unity based games (the majority of Linux game base) are multi-threaded by default.
                    I don't believe this. A game being multithreaded has nothing to do with the gpu driver being multithreaded. As far as i know glthread is about making MESA multithreaded, not the game. Why would that drop performance (barring some specific cases)?

Comment

Working...
                    X