Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Beta Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Beta Released

For those with extra time on their hands due to being at home and social distancing, Canonical released the Ubuntu 20.04 LTS beta today for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can you upgrade easily from beta to release? I have some servers I could toss this on, but don't feel like re-doing them again at official launch.

Comment

> Great stuff but please get rid of Snap.

144Hz wishes Linux distributions different to Fedora... to be killed:
      - homed is going to kill off more distributionism. Couldn’t be better. Go get’em lennarD
      -- https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...38#post1157838

"Couldn’t be better", he says.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
        > Great stuff but please get rid of Snap.
        144Hz wishes Linux distributions different to Fedora... to be killed:
        I'm with 144 Hz on this one - snaps centralization (there is no possibility to change the URL of the upstream repository without recompiling the software and it explicitly doesn't support working with multiple repositories) makes it hostile to the open-source, federated approach. It's more similar to the Windows Store and Google Play store than it is to Flatpak

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          Great stuff but please get rid of Snap.
          Yes, I totally agree with you. I would prefer if Ubuntu officially support and use flatpak instead of snap.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
            Can you upgrade easily from beta to release? I have some servers I could toss this on, but don't feel like re-doing them again at official launch.
            You will just get the release with normal updates and won't automatically enter the next beta. So installing it now or after release is exactly the same after the release is done.

Comment

And Ubuntu should enable Wayland by default.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                Great stuff but please get rid of Snap.
                Code:
                # apt purge snapd
                # apt autoremove --purge

Comment

Originally posted by Syfer View Post

I'm with 144 Hz on this one - snaps centralization (there is no possibility to change the URL of the upstream repository without recompiling the software and it explicitly doesn't support working with multiple repositories) makes it hostile to the open-source, federated approach. It's more similar to the Windows Store and Google Play store than it is to Flatpak
                  Me too. Normally, I'm not a fan of 144Hz, but for once I agree with him (and thus with you).

Comment

Originally posted by JensRex View Post

Code:
                    # apt purge snapd
                    # apt autoremove --purge
                    ... which is what Canonical should be doing in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                    X