Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

L1d Cache Flush On Context Switch Moves Forward For Linux In Light Of Vulnerabilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1d Cache Flush On Context Switch Moves Forward For Linux In Light Of Vulnerabilities

Phoronix: L1d Cache Flush On Context Switch Moves Forward For Linux In Light Of Vulnerabilities

A new patch series sent out just under one month ago was providing opt-in L1 data cache flushing on context switching. That work has now been revived again and now with documentation added it's clear that this work is being done in response to a recent CVE being made public...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good that it is not enabled by default because this would probably have one of the worst performance hits, especially for things like compilers and games.
    I hope they don't enable it for AMD if the vulnerability is not present there.

Comment

This problem even impacts the ancient in-order Intel Atom D2550 processors which are on Intel's list at 06_36H. That processor goes back to 2012 according to Intel ARK.

I don't have any single core Pentium IIs, Pentium IIIs, Pentium 4s, or Celerons to check against the list!

Now for the worrisome question. Will AMD processors be affected by this problem or a variant of this problem? Perhaps it's too soon to say.

Comment

Gotta admit, I really enjoy the photos included in these kind of articles

Comment

it was more or less expected..

Comment

Working...
          X