No announcement yet.

AMD's Marek Olšák Lands Even More OpenGL Threading Improvements Into Mesa 20.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's Marek Olšák Lands Even More OpenGL Threading Improvements Into Mesa 20.1

Phoronix: AMD's Marek Olšák Lands Even More OpenGL Threading Improvements Into Mesa 20.1

One month ago to the day I was writing about OpenGL threading improvements for Mesa 20.1 and since then more "GLTHREAD" work has materialized and successfully landed for improving the Mesa OpenGL driver performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If Marek keeps working at this pace MESA will become faster than the Nvidia blob soon.

Comment

can intel GPU benefits from this patches too ?

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
        can intel GPU benefits from this patches too ?
        Not sure, but they don't deserve it.

Comment

Am I losing eyesight or is half of the article written in italic?

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Not sure, but they don't deserve it.
            Why... they are one of the largest contributors to Mesa3d... as well as one of the first companies to contribute open code for their GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Why... they are one of the largest contributors to Mesa3d... as well as one of the first companies to contribute open code for their GPUs.
              Yes, but on the CPU side they're not so kind.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta
                chuckula

At first fix my damn Intel CPU or shut the fuck up pig.
                Thanks. Flagged.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Yes, but on the CPU side they're not so kind.
                  Not so, AMD and Intel have a cross licensing agreement for x86, amd64 and new extensions... it only gets ugly once MARKETING rolls up on the scene.

I think an exception to the crosslicensing thing is when Intel or AMD adds an accelerator to the instruction set which is why some vector coprocessor insturctions aren't really supported on AMD. AMD has it's bester GPUs though that almost entirely make up for that.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Not so, AMD and Intel have a cross licensing agreement for x86, amd64 and new extensions... it only gets ugly once MARKETING rolls up on the scene.

I think an exception to the crosslicensing thing is when Intel or AMD adds an accelerator to the instruction set which is why some vector coprocessor insturctions aren't really supported on AMD. AMD has it's bester GPUs though that almost entirely make up for that.
                    It wasn't only about marketing:

AMD have sued Intel for unfair competition at least since 2005, and the case has been settled in November 2009. This settlement deals with many issues of unfair competition, apparently including the Intel compiler. The settlement says:
                    2.3 TECHNICAL PRACTICES

Intel shall not include any Artificial Performance Impairment in any Intel product or require any Third Party to include an Artificial Performance Impairment in the Third Party's product. As used in this Section 2.3, "Artificial Performance Impairment" means an affirmative engineering or design action by Intel (but not a failure to act) that (i) degrades the performance or operation of a Specified AMD product, (ii) is not a consequence of an Intel Product Benefit and (iii) is made intentionally to degrade the performance or operation of a Specified AMD Product. For purposes of this Section 2.3, "Product Benefit" shall mean any benefit, advantage, or improvement in terms of performance, operation, price, cost, manufacturability, reliability, compatibility, or ability to operate or enhance the operation of another product.

In no circumstances shall this Section 2.3 impose or be construed to impose any obligation on Intel to (i) take any act that would provide a Product Benefit to any AMD or other non-Intel product, either when such AMD or non-Intel product is used alone or in combination with any other product, (ii) optimize any products for Specified AMD Products, or (iii) provide any technical information, documents, or know how to AMD.

Comment

Working...
                    X