Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canonical Contributing Upstream Improvements To Plymouth Ahead Of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Contributing Upstream Improvements To Plymouth Ahead Of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Phoronix: Canonical Contributing Upstream Improvements To Plymouth Ahead Of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

One of the immediate differences Ubuntu 20.04 desktop/laptop users will notice when booting in UEFI mode is the boot splash screen improvements thanks to leveraging Red Hat's work on providing a flicker-free boot experience and pulling in the UEFI BGRT system/motherboard logo during the boot process to provide a more transitive experience. Canonical in turn is working on pushing some of their improvements back into upstream Plymouth...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice to hear that Canonical is also contributing upstream.
    I hope they are not putting adware in Plymouth like logos or laptop brands.
    I don't want the boot time to be wasted on displaying useless information.
    Also the default integrity check is stupid. It should be on demand.
    I don't like that every time I boot from flash drive it auto starts this and I have to press some key to stop it.
    How about letting me to trigger it only if I need it or if I want to install the OS.
    Kubuntu already has a stupid stopping point in the boot process to ask you if you want to try it or install it instead of just booting into 'try mode' since 99% percent that is what you want and if you're in the 1%, you have an icon anyway to start the installer.
    Too bad Linux Mint KDE edition is dead, they had better KDE defaults than Kubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      It's not adware, Plymouth just picks whatever graphic is in the bootrom.

Comment

Love how Canonical contributing upstream is newsworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

It's not adware, Plymouth just picks whatever graphic is in the bootrom.
          How about not picking anything ?
          I'm already spammed by the BIOS before the bootloader.
          I don't need to be reminded again what brand of laptop I bought.
          Normally and if I put Ubuntu on a flash drive, I want to see what operating system I'm booting not what brand of laptop or motherboard the computer has.
          i find this pretty idiotic and childish.
          I remember when I was using Nvidia with proprietary driver I think and they had stupid idea to put their logo before the computer booted, which I really hated.

Comment

How about not picking anything ?
            I'm already spammed by the BIOS before the bootloader.
            I don't need to be reminded again what brand of laptop I bought.
            Normally and if I put Ubuntu on a flash drive, I want to see what operating system I'm booting not what brand of laptop or motherboard the computer has.
            i find this pretty idiotic and childish.
            I remember when I was using Nvidia with proprietary driver I think and they had stupid idea to put their logo before the computer booted, which I really hated.
            I'm guessing this is introduced along with flickering free boot experience. The framebuffer is left untouched until the Display Manager takes over.

But I do agree the OEM logo is maybe-useless-but-definitely-free advertising and should be removed.
            Personally I wanted a custom wallpaper instead, but only found hackish methods.

Comment

It still blinks for me at least once with amdgpu / Navi. Kernel 5.6.2.
              Last edited by shmerl; 06 April 2020, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                I'm guessing this is introduced along with flickering free boot experience. The framebuffer is left untouched until the Display Manager takes over.

But I do agree the OEM logo is maybe-useless-but-definitely-free advertising and should be removed.
                Personally I wanted a custom wallpaper instead, but only found hackish methods.
                It's more about looking professional and tidy.

Comment

Nice to hear that Canonical is also contributing upstream.
                  I don't want the boot time to be wasted on displaying useless information.
                  Also the default integrity check is stupid. It should be on demand.
                  I don't like that every time I boot from flash drive it auto starts this and I have to press some key to stop it.
                  How about letting me to trigger it only if I need it or if I want to install the OS.
                  Kubuntu already has a stupid stopping point in the boot process to ask you if you want to try it or install it instead of just booting into 'try mode' since 99% percent that is what you want and if you're in the 1%, you have an icon anyway to start the installer.
                  Too bad Linux Mint KDE edition is dead, they had better KDE defaults than Kubuntu.
                  BTW, the try/install prompt can avoided by manually removing ubitity-maybe from the grub boot line (not intuitive but avoidable and sometimes necessary on finicky hw).

Comment

Nice to hear that Canonical is also contributing upstream..
                    Whenever possible Canonical (like everyone else) prefers to push fixes upstream in order to reduce their own unique long term support burden. Sometimes that is not possible, but whenever some new shiny is proposed one of the evaluations (by any competent company) has to be whether that is going to get up-streamed, or whether it is a long term support burden, and whether that support burden is a necessary differentiator for the offering (some shiny comes with a cost that exceeds the ROI).

Comment

Working...
                    X