Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU MediaGoblin Announces They Are Still Alive

Phoronix: GNU MediaGoblin Announces They Are Still Alive

One of several GNU projects that have been silent in recent years is MediaGoblin, the effort to provide a free and decentralized web platform for sharing of digital media...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hadn't heard of it before but it looks quite useful. I meant to set up Gallery years ago but never got around to it and then development stalled. I see it recently came back to life though.

Comment

Because nothing says a project is "alive" better than the devs having to come forward to say it, right?

Comment

Wirh PixelFed and PeerTube gaining a lot of ground + they implementing activity pub for federation, I think is hard for MediaGoblin to gain traction.

Comment

Originally posted by jlhertel View Post
          Wirh PixelFed and PeerTube gaining a lot of ground + they implementing activity pub for federation, I think is hard for MediaGoblin to gain traction.
          It's a GNU project, it's normal

Comment

I ran it for a while a few years ago. I don't like the UI that much, at least at a time it makes it hard to categorize your content.

Comment

Well, i remember a media goblin dev was among the designers of the activitypub standard so he decided to put all of his focus on activitypub.
              We can say that activitypub enabled the existence of peertube and pixelfed, so I think they should move forward to these platforms. peertube is an amazing software but its ecosystem is very unstable, some popular instances have shut down their service and admins doesn't seem to be very committed to mantain a server for the long run.

Comment

Reading this article title at first I thought MediaGoblin was a games dev company somehow blessed by the GNU project and that "They Are Still Alive" was a decent game title (for once) developed as free software... and that they were announcing the general availability of the first stable release of their game...

Never mind, I'm going back to play CRRCSim, FoFiX, fgfs, PokerTH, Ri-li and all the rest.

Comment

Working...
                X