No announcement yet.

Mesa 20.1's RADV Lands More Performance Improvements For Recent id Tech Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 20.1's RADV Lands More Performance Improvements For Recent id Tech Games

Phoronix: Mesa 20.1's RADV Lands More Performance Improvements For Recent id Tech Games

A number of recent id Tech games (though seemingly not DOOM Eternal) have seen another performance optimization with Mesa 20.1's RADV Radeon Vulkan driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

20.1 is shaping up to be a very optimized release! Great job MESA devs and thank you all!

Comment

I wonder why ID Software violated the Vulkan spec. Is it because it is faster, they don't care because Win drivers already work with this or it's just an overlook by them.

Comment

I wish Valve would open source the Source Engine. That could help encourage the development of games for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I wish Valve would open source the Source Engine. That could help encourage the development of games for Linux.
          thats right..,. true... but it is like a mistake valve did i read an article today the most popular games today would not be on valve steam with the old modell of steam from 2012... past then humans decided to what comes in the steam store and what not. and many popular modern top sellers on steam would not be accepted on the old model. in 2012 they dropped this selection and automated it so more non conform games can be in the store some of them are top sellers today.

see valve did some big mistake in the past and your good point is one of this.

it is same with "Proton" proton is opensource and it helps to sell many games in steam

in my point of view you are right valve should make it open-source because this would result in more games on steam and they sell more and earn more money just like other opensource projects like proton.

but it is same mistake they did on the old pre2012 model they wrongly thought more control is better for their ecosystem but in fact less control is better for their ecosystem.

yes yes yes some games would use the opensource engine outside of steam but i think what we see with doom engine based games what is opensource the games outside of steam who use this has a tiny market share near by ZERO%%%

yes some games would use it without selling it on steam but this in fact is very rare.

so yes valve is very wrong here.
          Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            UE, Unity, Source, they all support Linux now, so nothing prevents development of games for Linux. Opensourcing won't change anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
              UE, Unity, Source, they all support Linux now, so nothing prevents development of games for Linux. Opensourcing won't change anything.
              Yeah it would change something, because open sourcing it would allow open source games to emerge. Now the games that exist are mostly proprietary an use proprietary game engines.

Comment

Unreal Engine is open source though, just not free

Comment

Originally posted by VoodaGod View Post
                  Unreal Engine is open source though, just not free
                  No, it's available source, it's not open source.

Comment

Working...
                  X