Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeRDP 2.0 Released With Flatpak Support, RAP v2 Support, Font Smoothing By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeRDP 2.0 Released With Flatpak Support, RAP v2 Support, Font Smoothing By Default

Phoronix: FreeRDP 2.0 Released With Flatpak Support, RAP v2 Support, Font Smoothing By Default

Three years after the FreeRDP 2.0 release candidates began, version 2.0 of this Free Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) implementation is finally available. FreeRDP remains one of the leading RDP remote desktop solutions for Linux users and is finally ready to lead with its shiny new release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So how does this compare to Remmina? What are its pros & cons?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
      So how does this compare to Remmina? What are its pros & cons?
      Remmina happens to use libfreerdp as the basis of it's RDP implementation. :-)

Comment

This is excellent news! plenty of projects such as Apache guacamole depend on a stable FreeRDP API.

Comment

I never heard of this before, this is free and open source software, right ?

A a few weeks ago, I tried to install a remote desktop server based on VNC.
          I have found first sand installed vncserver, which was the worst experience which I ever seen with a VNC software.
          Instead of giving me the real server screen on the client, it gave me a weird virtual screen with an x cursor and gray background.
          This was one of most stupid defaults I've seen in any software and after some tweaking with a config file, I failed to make it work ang gave up.
          Then I found X11VNC that gives me the real screen as I wanted, but I am pretty disappointed about the low performance even in LAN.
          Maybe the problem is the the KRDC client doesn't support the cache feature of X11VNC, but I've seen other reports complaining about the low performance also.
          I'm curios to see if I can install this and if it has better performance.

LE:
          I think I have installed it, the installation documentation is pretty bad.
          But now I can't figure out how to start it.
          I tried a few commands from their tutorial but is always complaining about not being able to connect.
          Connect to what ?
          I've put the local IP address and a random port
          Maybe I don't understand something.
          Is this sofware a server or client for RDP ?
          If it's a client, why would I need a command line one when there are already ones available with GUIs ?
          And what would be a good RDP server for Linux, if anybody knows ?
          Last edited by Danny3; 09 April 2020, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            it's an old license, but it checks out https://github.com/FreeRDP/FreeRDP/blob/master/LICENSE

Afaik it started as a fork of rdesktop, and it's now well-known and used by GNOME and KDE's remote desktop applications when selecting a RDP connection.

Its support for older RDP versions (XP and older) is kind of limited, as they focus on the newer versions of the protocol.

Maybe the problem is the the KRDC client doesn't support the cache feature of X11VNC, but I've seen other reports complaining about the low performance also.
            I'm curios to see if I can install this and if it has better performance.
            VNC protocol is very simple but also very crap, low performance and lag is normal.

RDP protocol is much better, and what Windows also uses for their native "remote desktop" functionality, given that MS made the RDP protocol in the first place.

Comment

Instead of giving me the real server screen on the client, it gave me a weird virtual screen with an x cursor and gray background.
              It gave you an independent session... like the multi-seat configurations that are possible with Microsoft's Remote Desktop Services. X11 is almost pathologically modular and that background and cursor are the old default look for an X11 desktop before you launch something to set a new background and cursor, provide a launcher and window borders, etc.

If you've got the Xephyr nested X server and the Openbox window manager installed, you can run some commands like this to get a feel for how that aspect of X11 works.

First, run Xephyr -retro :3 and then, after the window appears, run these:

Code:
              DISPLAY=:3 openbox &
              DISPLAY=:3 xterm
              Last edited by ssokolow; 09 April 2020, 08:09 PM.

Comment

And what would be a good RDP server for Linux, if anybody knows ?
                I've always used xrdp. Not sure what else there is that implements it. I think weston actually has an RDP server built in, but I don't think any of the other wayland compositors do. There's also a few other remoting protocols, like NoMachine, various flavors of VNC with different features/performance, and maybe Citrix and Teamviewer work on Linux. Parsec has a linux build, too, but I don't know if it's client or server. Simplest outright free option is usually xrdp.

Comment

What wrong with tigervnc with xfce ?

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
                    What wrong with tigervnc with xfce ?
                    It depends, do you happen to be a Debian user too?

Comment

Working...
                    X