Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NetworkManager 1.24 Coming Soon With VRF Support, Opportunistic Wireless Encryption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetworkManager 1.24 Coming Soon With VRF Support, Opportunistic Wireless Encryption

Phoronix: NetworkManager 1.24 Coming Soon With VRF Support, Opportunistic Wireless Encryption

Friday marked the release of NetworkManager 1.24-RC1 as the first test candidate for this component important to wired and wireless networking on the Linux desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This NetworkManager OWE support is contingent upon WPA-Supplicant being built with the capability enabled
    So not usable with IWD?

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

So not usable with IWD?
      It seems it does not, I'm not an expert in the source of NM but this file is the only one where there is a list of encryption modes for IWD. https://github.com/NetworkManager/Ne...m-wifi-utils.h

Still, IWD does support OWE, so it's just a matter of wiring that up.

Comment

Hm, it seems strange to design a new cryptography protocol based on DH, since that is not quantum safe. Sure, quantum computers of a size able to break this is certainly at least a few years away. However, installed access points can have a long life time, especially in homes. Some of my neighbors' networks show up as 802.11b still!

My understanding (though I'm far from an expert) is that WPA2-PSK should be safe against Shor's algorithm at least, since it is based on a shared secret (as opposed to private/public keys). Obviously that will not hold for WPA2 Enterprise (at least with some of the possible configurations of it). (And yes, I'm aware of that WPA2 has other weaknesses, as was shown with for example KRACK.)

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
          Hm, it seems strange to design a new cryptography protocol based on DH, since that is not quantum safe. Sure, quantum computers of a size able to break this is certainly at least a few years away. However, installed access points can have a long life time, especially in homes. Some of my neighbors' networks show up as 802.11b still!

My understanding (though I'm far from an expert) is that WPA2-PSK should be safe against Shor's algorithm at least, since it is based on a shared secret (as opposed to private/public keys). Obviously that will not hold for WPA2 Enterprise (at least with some of the possible configurations of it). (And yes, I'm aware of that WPA2 has other weaknesses, as was shown with for example KRACK.)
          OWE does sound much better than plaintext...

Comment

Working...
          X