Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam Play's Proton 5.0-6 Released With DOOM Eternal Fix, Other Game Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Play's Proton 5.0-6 Released With DOOM Eternal Fix, Other Game Improvements

Phoronix: Steam Play's Proton 5.0-6 Released With DOOM Eternal Fix, Other Game Improvements

Following the Proton 5.0-6 release candidate from earlier this month that brought out-of-the-box support for DOOM Eternal under Linux, Valve today promoted Proton 5.0-6 to being officially available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hm. Tomb Raider 1996 still doesnt start with 5.0-6 and crash with 4.11
    Last edited by Pranos; 15 April 2020, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Would be nice if DOOM Eternal actually worked on Proton 5.0.6 for me. The game was working briefly for me on Ubuntu with 430.50 Ndidia driver right after it came out, but has been broken ever since then with Proton 5.0.5 and 5.0.6, I try to run the game and nothing happens, in ~/.steam/error.log among crap I see:
      Code:
      wine: Unhandled exception 0x80000003 in thread 38 at address 0000000140840A44 (thread 0038), starting debugger...
      So same old story, crap not working out of the box, last time I tried Battlefield 5 via lutris on my gnooh Linuks my Origin account got banned, and there's Destiny 2 which is still Windows only.

Comment

It definitely got Eternal running here on Radeon 5700XT using Mesa 20 and Linux 5.6

Comment

Was hoping that they would be off of 5.0 by 1/4 of the year in. They seem to have too many regressions or other problems going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Pranos View Post
            Hm. Tomb Raider 1996 still doesnt start with 5.0-6 and crash with 4.11
            Proton is the wrong tool for MS-DOS games. You need Boxtron and DOSBox Staging for that.

Steam Play compatibility tool to run DOS games using native Linux DOSBox - dreamer/boxtron

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
              Would be nice if DOOM Eternal actually worked on Proton 5.0.6 for me. The game was working briefly for me on Ubuntu with 430.50 Ndidia driver right after it came out, but has been broken ever since then with Proton 5.0.5 and 5.0.6, I try to run the game and nothing happens, in ~/.steam/error.log among crap I see:
              Code:
              wine: Unhandled exception 0x80000003 in thread 38 at address 0000000140840A44 (thread 0038), starting debugger...
              So same old story, crap not working out of the box, last time I tried Battlefield 5 via lutris on my gnooh Linuks my Origin account got banned, and there's Destiny 2 which is still Windows only.
              You need the Nvidia 440.82 or 440.66.08 driver for DOOM Eternal to work.

As far as Destiny 2 on Linux, you can check this out:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Linuxers/co..._vm_for_linux/

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

Proton is the wrong tool for MS-DOS games. You need Boxtron and DOSBox Staging for that.

Steam Play compatibility tool to run DOS games using native Linux DOSBox - dreamer/boxtron
                Also there's https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x which seems very actively worked on, not sure how it compares to DOSBox Staging.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

You need the Nvidia 440.82 or 440.66.08 driver for DOOM Eternal to work.

As far as Destiny 2 on Linux, you can check this out:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Linuxers/co..._vm_for_linux/
                  Hey thanks, manually installing "./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-440.82.run" resolved it for me, DOOM Eternal runs great again, looks like I didn't bother to read minimum requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                    Hey thanks, manually installing "./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-440.82.run" resolved it for me, DOOM Eternal runs great again, looks like I didn't bother to read minimum requirements.
                    There is no minimum

Comment

Working...
                    X