Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Mutter Lands Fullscreen Unredirect Support For Wayland

Phoronix: GNOME's Mutter Lands Fullscreen Unredirect Support For Wayland

A big change was just merged today for the in-development GNOME 3.38 that will benefit Wayland gamers and others...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I look forward to the benchmarks on Phoronix! 🤩

Comment

Having just installed Ubuntu 20.04, I am happy to see Gnome being faster and more fluid than ever. 19.10 was also a big improvement.

I do not miss Unity any more - although I have to install the Unite extension to get the last bit of vertical screen space back .

Happy days

Comment

Putting problems with Mutters input handling to the side for a second, this should beat any compositor unredirect available on Xorg and shows one of the real advantages of the Wayland protocol. This works for Xwayland clients too given Mutter doesn't see them any different to normal clients.

The client is actually skipping the display server and sending its output directly to the monitor plane on the GPU, and at the same time completely unaware of it.
        Last edited by Britoid; 16 April 2020, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Fake news!

Nothing good can be done in Gnome if it isn't done by Daniel Van Vugt.

Sarcasm aside, waiting for those benchmarks too.

Comment

Originally posted by sabian2008 View Post
            Fake news!

Nothing good can be done in Gnome if it isn't done by Daniel Van Vugt.

Sarcasm aside, waiting for those benchmarks too.
            This is performance work, so going by what people say on the internet, it must be made by Canonical because only Canonical care about GNOME performance.

Comment

Finnaly! Goodbye stutter, frame drop...

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
                Finnaly! Goodbye stutter, frame drop...
                There is no stutter or frame drop today without this change, i play games in Wayland all the time. It is not like gaming was broken on Wayland until now...

Comment

I just wonder how this technically works, as most games these days don't use exclusive fullscreen mode but a full desktop-sized borderless window. Does it work for these too or only games that actually request fullscreen mode?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    I just wonder how this technically works, as most games these days don't use exclusive fullscreen mode but a full desktop-sized borderless window. Does it work for these too or only games that actually request fullscreen mode?
                    That should work still work.

If the window covers the entire screen and there's no shell elements to display, Mutter should unredirect it.

Comment

Working...
                    X