Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox Performance On Wayland Is Looking Good - Browser Benchmarks With KDE vs. GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox Performance On Wayland Is Looking Good - Browser Benchmarks With KDE vs. GNOME

Phoronix: Firefox Performance On Wayland Is Looking Good - Browser Benchmarks With KDE vs. GNOME

Earlier this month I looked at the X.Org vs. Wayland browser performance with Firefox and Chrome. Mozilla Firefox in particular was showing better performance on Wayland, so here are fresh tests of Firefox with using Fedora 32 and testing various X.Org/Wayland desktops.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice to see Plasma wayland on top twice. Shame the DE itself is in such poor shape, especially compared to Gnome.

Comment

It would be nice to also have a comparison with Sway or another wlroots based compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by Mthw View Post
        Nice to see Plasma wayland on top twice. Shame the DE itself is in such poor shape, especially compared to Gnome.
        Yeah. The average person wouldn't even know or care if they're on Wayland or Xorg on GNOME whereas KDE on Wayland is more like

Full disclosure: In the middle of a KDE Manjaro install using their latest beta iso. Only so much GNOME I could take before returning to the dark side.

Comment

Originally posted by Mthw View Post
          I really don't care about performance for the moment. My mentality always goes by this: most people usually see a car and understands it's functionality and if the car has quality of life improvements it's just a bonus. But you really need to know what's under the hood to make it worth your time otherwise you just have to pay someone else to do it for you. Little research does anyone real good.

All in all, Wayland has the one benefit (argument) that will always pull me over, it has been rebuild from the ground up from the knowledge of existing desktops environments with the mentality of making it fit to future desktops (at least tries to). But I got to admit, you get real comfy with X.Org and what it has/you can do now...
          Last edited by Sethox; 20 April 2020, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Michael is it at all possible to include sway on future wayland tests?

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
              Michael is it at all possible to include sway on future wayland tests?
              I tried using Sway for this comparison but the Sway build in F32 seemed borked. At first had to deal with a config file error due to the default config not pointing to a correct background file and then after fixing that it was just launching to a black screen.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I tried using Sway for this comparison but the Sway build in F32 seemed borked. At first had to deal with a config file error due to the default config not pointing to a correct background file and then after fixing that it was just launching to a black screen.
                Looking at the test setup I reckon it's due to the nvidia card. wlroots doesn't work with the proprietary drivers. It would work on an amd or intel graphics setup though.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post

Looking at the test setup I reckon it's due to the nvidia card. wlroots doesn't work with the proprietary drivers. It would work on an amd or intel graphics setup though.
                  This was with the default (Nouveau) drivers.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Volta

So this benchmark is rather meaningless.
                    Previous tests were with Intel and Radeon, for showing diverse hardware.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X