SDL2 Sees Support For A Number Of Additional Controllers, Gamepads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDL2 Sees Support For A Number Of Additional Controllers, Gamepads

Phoronix: SDL2 Sees Support For A Number Of Additional Controllers, Gamepads

A number of additional game controllers / gamepads / input devices have been added to the SDL2 code-base in recent days...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i am not certain whether it's a good or a bad thing that the controller lists are directly in the code, instead of external file. ( https://hg.libsdl.org/SDL/rev/4a9898480762 )

definitely makes a case for using sdl as a dynamic library, but that is not always possible.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
      definitely makes a case for using sdl as a dynamic library, but that is not always possible.
      SDL2 has its own dynamic-linking initialization code so that, even if you statically link it, end users can set an environment variable which will cause it to override itself with the version the variable points to.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
      Last edited by ssokolow; 24 April 2020, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Indeed hardcoded devices like that is quite dirty.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

SDL2 has its own dynamic-linking initialization code so that, even if you statically link it, end users can set an environment variable which will cause it to override itself with the version the variable points to.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...tem&px=MTU2MzQ
          i was thinking more of console homebrew/mobile apps where sdl2 is not provided system-wide library.

also, not sure how ubuntu's snaps handle dynamic libraries.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post

i was thinking more of console homebrew/mobile apps where sdl2 is not provided system-wide library.

also, not sure how ubuntu's snaps handle dynamic libraries.
            From what I remember, it's possible to load an external gamepad database and the compiled-in one is to ensure a certain minimum level of functionality for games where the developers botched that functionality up.

It's also possible to explicitly specify mappings using an environment variable and that's how Steam's gamepad configurator works. There's also a standalone one and Antimicro also shows the raw configuration string generated by its internal configurator.

Comment

Working...
            X