Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 20.1 Adds A Vulkan Device Selection Layer For Better Handling Multi-GPU Setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 20.1 Adds A Vulkan Device Selection Layer For Better Handling Multi-GPU Setups

Phoronix: Mesa 20.1 Adds A Vulkan Device Selection Layer For Better Handling Multi-GPU Setups

After the merge request was open for more than a half-year, Mesa 20.1 has landed a Vulkan device selection layer for choosing between multiple Vulkan-enabled GPUs on a given system as the default device...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So many systems with iGPUs plus discrete GPUs. While gaming on the discrete GPU It would be great if the iGPU can chip in to boost the fps by another 20%.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
      So many systems with iGPUs plus discrete GPUs. While gaming on the discrete GPU It would be great if the iGPU can chip in to boost the fps by another 20%.
      Or yse that to run your desktop and browser, while the dGPU is used for games.

Comment

Total War : WarHammer 2 Linux port does support choosing which GPU to use for Vulkan. Haven't actually tried choosing anything different, because I'm on a desktop and already using the dGPU.
        Last edited by Guest; 28 April 2020, 10:00 AM.

Comment

I still hope we live long enough to see this work eventually. This use case was talked about long ago and I haven't seen any progress made on that front to make it happen. Maybe with all the work done on the multi-gpu / APU front this will improve in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

I still hope we live long enough to see this work eventually. This use case was talked about long ago and I haven't seen any progress made on that front to make it happen. Maybe with all the work done on the multi-gpu / APU front this will improve in the future.
            I do not really expect that to ever happen. Performance and architectural wise you would often have to synchronize such a lot of stuff that I expect efficiency to be below zero.

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
            Or yse that to run your desktop and browser, while the dGPU is used for games.
            That's not too far away. One GPU doing application A while another one is doing application B. You just need to efficiently copy the results od rendering into the framebuffer of the other one. Basically that's what nvidia optimus and AMD forgot the name are trying to do, with all the problems there are even today: X11 not being made for things like that, binary blob drivers doing their special crap,...

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

I do not really expect that to ever happen. Performance and architectural wise you would often have to synchronize such a lot of stuff that I expect efficiency to be below zero.
              AMD already did that a few years ago, they called it Radeon Dual graphics. Intel is rumored to offer something similar with their next generation Xe graphics.

That's not too far away. One GPU doing application A while another one is doing application B. You just need to efficiently copy the results od rendering into the framebuffer of the other one. Basically that's what nvidia optimus and AMD forgot the name are trying to do, with all the problems there are even today: X11 not being made for things like that, binary blob drivers doing their special crap,...
              Not trying, this has worked on my laptops flawlessly for quite some time (old AMD gpus though).

Comment

AFAIK Strange Brigade is the only game that does this.

I hope that this selection supports multiple selections, for example you have 4 GPUs and want a program or game to run on 3 of the GPUs and not just 1.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                  Total War : WarHammer 2 Linux port does support choosing which GPU to use for Vulkan. Haven't actually tried choosing anything different, because I'm on a desktop and already using the iGPU.
                  Problem is with games like Doom 2016 that runs through Proton/Wine. They don't offer an option like Feral ports does because Windows driver packages already has built-in solutions that lets you choose which exec will run on dgpu.

There will be no need for this anymore.

Comment

I can see some hardware innovations on the horizon which could make it more efficient (e.g. cache-coherent interconnects, low-latency HBM on package etc.).

Comment

Working...
                    X