Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proton 5.0-7 Being Prepared With Newer DXVK, Updated VKD3D Layer

Phoronix: Proton 5.0-7 Being Prepared With Newer DXVK, Updated VKD3D Layer

Valve along with their comrades at CodeWeavers are preparing Proton 5.0-7 as the newest version of their Wine-based software powering Steam Play for running Windows games on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Talos Principle works natively on Linux with a native Vulkan implementation.

Wonder why Valve is testing the windows version via steamplay.

Comment

I thought GTA4 was already playable? Granted, you needed to crack the DRM. But, GTA4 recently removed GFWL, so, I'm not entirely sure this version of proton has much to do with it working.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
        The Talos Principle works natively on Linux with a native Vulkan implementation.

Wonder why Valve is testing the windows version via steamplay.
        Because it is a test case for VKD3D. There aren't many D3D12 games on Steam and Talos is one of them. Linux version of it works perfect but still Windows build has a d3d12 renderer besides Vulkan that it can be used for testing purposes.

Comment

VKD3D is still missing some Vulkan extensions to work 100% properly?

Comment

Originally posted by xcom View Post
            VKD3D is still missing some Vulkan extensions to work 100% properly?
            Yes, its isn't working 100% properly. It doesn't work with Ray Tracing for example as that is a rather involved problem. There are other pieces just to get to that point.

Looking at years still probably or at least not anytime this year for it to support 100% of VK.

Comment

Does anyone know why the Steam store flickers when run under Wine now? It seems that shortly after Valve began working on Proton something in wine changed and now the Steam store flickers into separately updating graphics blocks. And I've never been able to figure out why.

And yes, Proton is great for people that don't know how, or don't care, to use Wine. But there are still many people who run Steam under Wine for various reasons (for me it's because I have my own Wine Manager), and it would be nice if the Wine and Steam developers would make sure it worked correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                Does anyone know why the Steam store flickers when run under Wine now? It seems that shortly after Valve began working on Proton something in wine changed and now the Steam store flickers into separately updating graphics blocks. And I've never been able to figure out why.

And yes, Proton is great for people that don't know how, or don't care, to use Wine. But there are still many people who run Steam under Wine for various reasons (for me it's because I have my own Wine Manager), and it would be nice if the Wine and Steam developers would make sure it worked correctly.
                My opinion: Steam is an online service, has a native Linux supported version, and therefore less likely to be supported opposite of their intentions. If they didn't have native, probably what you suggest could be more of a thing. As that is, I think they have bigger things and more important things to work on than this.

I'm sure someday, if Steam was killed off, that Wine would be sure to work with it more so.

The point is, a fix is to install native. You have a fix right there even if you don't want it.
                Last edited by ix900; 28 April 2020, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Funnily enough, this particular release is the one that actually removes my reason to run Steam inside Wine: This release backports two recent upstream patches that fix sound in TrackMania Nations Forever. Engine sounds, baby! YEAH!

Comment

Does anyone know why Valve stopped whitelisting proton-games?

Comment

Working...
                    X