Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proton 5.0-7 Released With New Game Support, Updated VKD3D/DXVK

Phoronix: Proton 5.0-7 Released With New Game Support, Updated VKD3D/DXVK

Following the Proton 5.0-7 release candidate from a few days ago, this critical part of Valve's Steam Play is now available for weekend gamers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

meh. Get a new Wine version already

Comment

Around a year ago i had GTA IV running fine with proton.

Comment

In other news, Valve drops SteamVR support from macOS. Seeing how Phoronix covers Mac stuff from time to time, I'm surprised Michael didn't bother mentioning it.

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post
          Lucky you, I've been trying to make it work for the past 2-3 months and I always failed until yesterday.
          Now it finally works with a small glitch that the 8 GB VRAM is not not properly recognized and the game sees only 4 GB by default.
          Luckily someone commented on the protonDB website a command to specify the VRAM size manually which seems to be working.

Comment

Every time when such news appear I see that different games start working. Why they do not work with previous versions of wine/dxvk? Is it because 1) some games need some specific tweaks or is it because 2) has not been implemented full functionality of Windows (or DirectX) which is required by different games? If it is #1, does it mean that Windows (or DirectX) is so buggy that all windows games are developed with a bunch of workarounds which also must be covered/implemented by wine/dxvk?

Comment

Originally posted by TitanFighter View Post
              Every time when such news appear I see that different games start working. Why they do not work with previous versions of wine/dxvk? Is it because 1) some games need some specific tweaks or is it because 2) has not been implemented full functionality of Windows (or DirectX) which is required by different games? If it is #1, does it mean that Windows (or DirectX) is so buggy that all windows games are developed with a bunch of workarounds which also must be covered/implemented by wine/dxvk?
              A bit of a combination of 1 and 2 with a 3rd category of DRM. Some games exploit Windows or DX bugs for multitudes of reasons and then the various projects need their own fixes.

What's interesting and funny is that 1 and 2 aren't exclusive to Wine/Proton/D*VK. If you've ever looked into console emulation you'd see that a lot of the emulators have per-game hacks and that quite a few of those per-game hacks are because devs learned to exploit console OS software with "bugs" to increase efficiency, exploiting hardware timings, and all sorts of odd things.

Wine and Co is no different, only instead of a 6-8 year product like a Nintendo or PlayStation they have to deal with a 30 year old evolving platform with backwards compatibility so they have to implement both the old buggy code and the newer fixed code.

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post
                Note that Rockstar released a "Complete Edition" which removed GFWL and included their dreadful launcher. Also broke some other things while they were at it.

Comment

Working...
                X