There Are Many Interesting Google Summer of Code 2020 Open-Source Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There Are Many Interesting Google Summer of Code 2020 Open-Source Projects

Phoronix: There Are Many Interesting Google Summer of Code 2020 Open-Source Projects

Google this week announced accepted projects for Summer of Code 2020 as their virtual engagement for getting students involved in open-source development. As usual, there are a lot of interesting GSoC projects...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish somebody would work on KDE Connect to make a Bluetooth or Wifi direct backend because making the connection between laptop and phone through the router is very slow, glitchy and I bet it consumes phone's battery faster.
    Porting VLC to WebAssembly seems to me a complete waste of time, but maybe Google likes this since they want to move everything from offline to online to probably use the subscription based model.
    And normally I would switch from playing back videos from the browser to VLC for proper hardware decoding, not the reverse.
    Yep, I have tested Firefox 76 on Wayland and still don't see any hardware acceleration.
    Maybe it doewsn't work on Intel integrated GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      I wish somebody would work on KDE Connect to make a Bluetooth or Wifi direct backend because making the connection between laptop and phone through the router is very slow, glitchy and I bet it consumes phone's battery faster.
      Bluetooth....depends. You're already on WiFi, very likely if it's at home, so that means you'd need to turn on an extra hardware radio and that would draw more power. If not then you'd be on NumberG and would have to turn on an extra hardware radio and would draw more power. One hardware connection to do multiple things uses less power than multiple hardware connections to do multiple things.

WiFi Direct, if done right, would be terrific (meaning with PC-to-Phone tethering implemented so NumberG wouldn't be needed for phone internet).

Comment

I forgot to make the comment I had when reading the article.

Gentoo is seeing a project to make a "full-featured Gentoo-like ChromiumOS" that offers the Chromebook experience with the flexibility of Portage and other Gentoo packages.
        Hey Gentoo.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          I forgot to make the comment I had when reading the article.

Hey Gentoo.
          I don't get why are some people obsessed with having Gentoo on desktops and laptops. Time spent with installation and configuration of Gentoo isn't worth the marginal time savings in daily workflow. Same applies for resources (CPU) usage. And, time, translated to money, could be rather spent on better HW.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

I don't get why are some people obsessed with having Gentoo on desktops and laptops. Time spent with installation and configuration of Gentoo isn't worth the marginal time savings in daily workflow. Same applies for resources (CPU) usage. And, time, translated to money, could be rather spent on better HW.
            Some need the fine-grained control, others are about with maximizing potential, others are using it for the bragging rights.

To each their own, I say.

The speculations in my mind only see the upsides a project like this will have.

Comment

With billions of $$ wasted on stupid sh** I really think a project like GSOC could be held by governments or a body like the EU. This way students get valuable experience, some money and FOSS projects benefit. In turn everyone else benefits since 90% of software uses FOSS today. So it is a win-win-win. Which is probably why it does not exist since there is nothing to steal.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
                a project like GSOC could be held by governments or a body like the EU. This way students get valuable experience, some money and FOSS projects benefit. In turn everyone else benefits since 90% of software uses FOSS today.
                https://www.bnd.bund.de/DE/Karriere/...Code_node.html is a GSoC like program by the German foreign intelligence service, even "borrowing" the name.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
                  With billions of $$ wasted on stupid sh** I really think a project like GSOC could be held by governments or a body like the EU. This way students get valuable experience, some money and FOSS projects benefit. In turn everyone else benefits since 90% of software uses FOSS today. So it is a win-win-win. Which is probably why it does not exist since there is nothing to steal.
                  Why would government do it?

In Slovakia, in order to submit digitally signed document using my ID card, I need to use Ubuntu 18.04, because it's using proprietary software depending on very old libraries (which are now removed).

Another fact is, that government won't depend on open-source, as it would rather sign contract, where all the responsibility goes to vendor, and government could sue vendor in case of issues,.. And, such vendors usually don't care about open-source.

Anyway. I don't want my taxes wasted on this.... Government would spend (steal) 900% more money on this than in the end would go to the all participants and staff.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
                    Another fact is, that government won't depend on open-source, as it would rather sign contract, where all the responsibility goes to vendor, and government could sue vendor in case of issues,.. And, such vendors usually don't care about open-source.
                    I suppose vendors like RedHat (now IBM) or Collabora would disagree: when you work with them, there's a contract, clear responsibilities and a vendor that can be sued and still stuff is open source.

Comment

Working...
                    X