No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 3 3100 + Ryzen 3 3300X Offering Great Budget Linux CPU Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 3 3100 + Ryzen 3 3300X Offering Great Budget Linux CPU Performance

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 + Ryzen 3 3300X Offering Great Budget Linux CPU Performance

At the end of April AMD announced the Ryzen 3 3100 + Ryzen 3 3300X and these Zen 2 budget processors are now shipping. Here are our initial benchmarks of the AMD Ryzen 3 3100 and Ryzen 3 3300X processors running on Ubuntu Linux compared to an assortment of old and new Intel/AMD CPUs with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That 3300X is an astonishing little bugger.

Comment

Yeah, slap a small gfx unit onto the 3300X and I'm sold.

Comment

I will need to upgrade my desktop soon (Godavari A10-7860K on FM2+...).
        I was hesitating between the Ryzen 5 2600 (already 2 years old) and the Ryzen 5 3600 (a bit expensive at 185€). This'll need more tests but if the 3300x is similar in performance and in price to the 2600 (currently at 125€) then it might be my next CPU.

Comment

I was looking at those 2 minutes(ish) to compile the Linux kernel. I remembered the first time I did that, I had to let it run for a few hours.

Comment

So AMD's budget processor is equal or better than Intel's flagship consumer processor from 3 years ago and doing it for only 65W as opposed to 91W, ouch, two black eyes there Intel.

Oh and the i7-7700k is still £400 on Amazon, a complete system based on the 3300x will come in cheaper.
            Last edited by Slartifartblast; 07 May 2020, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
              So AMD's budget processor is equal or better than Intel's flagship consumer processor from 3 years ago and doing it for only 65W as opposed to 91W, ouch, two black eyes there Intel.

Oh and the i7-7700k is still £400 on Amazon, a complete system based on the 3300x will come in cheaper.
              Intel in 2017 on the 7700k launch: We present you, the fastest gaming processor in the world.

AMD in 2020: Hey, that is our budget CPU!

Comment

3300X seems like a great value for money cpu. Yes it is nowhere near the best performance but it is more than enough for the vast majority of Linux desktops. Unless you encode videos or compile tons of code all day, you should be fine with this cpu.

I think it would have been interesting to include the 2600, since it should be comparable in price in most stores. I personally would prefer the 3300X to the 2600, since it uses less energy and is quite more powerful per core (IPC + clocks).

I wanted to get a 3600, but looking at the difference between 3600X and 3300X i don't believe the 3600 is worth the extra money for my desktop. I would rather put the saved money to my gpu upgrade!

Comment

The 2400G is the most interesting CPU to compare to, since that's an older Zen 4c/8t model. The performance difference, even from the 3100, is huge.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    The 2400G is the most interesting CPU to compare to, since that's an older Zen 4c/8t model. The performance difference, even from the 3100, is huge.
                    I don't think it is more interesting than the 2600 comparison. Yes i get that you wanted to see the architectural differences but we knew those already, the 3300X is not the first Zen 2 cpu around.

On the other hand if you are looking to buy a cpu in that price range the 2600 costs pretty close to the 3300X but the performance difference isn't as clear. In theory 2 more cores are 2 more cores but the 3300X is more powerful per core so benchmarks are important.

Comment

Working...
                    X