Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FlightGear 2020.1 Released For This Open-Source Flight Simulator

Phoronix: FlightGear 2020.1 Released For This Open-Source Flight Simulator

FlightGear 2020.1 is out as the newest release to this long-running project providing an open-source flight simulator...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Literally one week ago to the day I was looking into this "game" and was surprised to see it still at a 2018 release.

Hadn't played it in over 7 or 8 years and figured I'd wait until the next release. Glad that didn't take long.

Gotta run some errands so I won't be able to actually play for another hour or three

Comment

I love the Space Shuttle simulation. And love to land with it at Vigo's airport :-)

Comment

I gave the 2019 build a try a couple of weeks ago. The performance was not so great. Now my system is somewhat older and I am wondering which hardware they are targeting with the default settings. What would be the CPU, RAM, GPU requirements have it running run 1080p 30fps?

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
          I gave the 2019 build a try a couple of weeks ago. The performance was not so great. Now my system is somewhat older and I am wondering which hardware they are targeting with the default settings. What would be the CPU, RAM, GPU requirements have it running run 1080p 30fps?
          I'm wondering the same now too. Performance on my system wasn't good at all. Plenty of memory, 48GB, but my older Westmere Xeons paired with a newer RX 580 normally run most things well enough at 1080p50-60 and was having a difficult time with 1080p15-30 here

Windows build, FWIW.

Comment

Its been quiet about FG, glad to see it was for a good reason!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I'm wondering the same now too. Performance on my system wasn't good at all. Plenty of memory, 48GB, but my older Westmere Xeons paired with a newer RX 580 normally run most things well enough at 1080p50-60 and was having a difficult time with 1080p15-30 here

Windows build, FWIW.
              Tried 2018.3.5 on a Haswell i7-4500U (2 x 1.8/3GHz) Laptop @1080p and Haswell Xeon E3-1245v3 (4 x 3.2GHz) + RX570 @ 4K. The Laptop was mostly ok @ 15..30 FPS, the Desktop with dedicated graphics runs fine (haven't checked actual FPS). Current Tumbleweed on both systems.

Comment

Windows build, FWIW.
                You expect a MacPro grade RX580 to run anything recent well? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by StefanBruens View Post

Tried 2018.3.5 on a Haswell i7-4500U (2 x 1.8/3GHz) Laptop @1080p and Haswell Xeon E3-1245v3 (4 x 3.2GHz) + RX570 @ 4K. The Laptop was mostly ok @ 15..30 FPS, the Desktop with dedicated graphics runs fine (haven't checked actual FPS). Current Tumbleweed on both systems.
                  Which is what surprises me. I couldn't even look around w/o it getting choppy. I'll have to play with the settings and see if I can't smooth it out.

rene It normally plays stuff just fine provided I don't go stupid high with the settings.

Comment

Which is what surprises me. I couldn't even look around w/o it getting choppy. I'll have to play with the settings and see if I can't smooth it out.

rene It normally plays stuff just fine provided I don't go stupid high with the settings.
                    The first few seconds of "looking around" on the runway are indeed choppy, while it loads the scenery (one can sometimes see buildings and aircrafts appearing), but afterwards its smooth.

Just checked 2020.1.1. With the RX570, the C172p waiting for takeoff, the outside view runs with 4K @ ~58 FPS (details maxed out, e.g. with ALS, 3D Clouds, ...), while seated inside it caps at solid 60 FPS.

Comment

Working...
                    X