Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Quick Run With The FSGSBASE Patches On Intel + AMD

Phoronix: A Quick Run With The FSGSBASE Patches On Intel + AMD

FSGSBASE patches for the Linux kernel have been available for years albeit not mainlined to date. However, thankfully, a Microsoft Linux developer has taken up the cause to get them upstreamed given the performance benefits they are even seeing. Here are some benchmarks of the Linux kernel patches for FSGSBASE on both Intel and AMD CPUs.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seems like a resonable addition to the x86 arch branch overall.
    I'm sure it needs more testing though.
    Some more interesting tests up ahead perhaps?

Comment

To be out of tree, for so many time, for sure there are reluctance to its Security vector attacks,
      As x86 has more holes now than a Swiss cheese..

Comment

Oh, that's nice!

Comment

Why did this never get merged?

Comment

FSGSBASE submission was the subject of a fairly heated exchange between kernel maintainer Thomas Gleixner and some Intel devs last summer. Here is a taste: "I've been bitten by glued on and half baked patches from Intel in the past 10 years so many times, that I'm simply refusing to take anything which is not properly structured and documented".

There's much, much more, ending with: "I'm dead tired of your unfounded complaints and of your permanent refusal to collaborate. Keep that up and the last x86 maintainer who was willing to deal with you in the past 10 years will finally open up a reserved slot in his email filters to /dev/null."

Comment

FWIW, I'd merged the previous (#11th?) patchset series a couple of weeks ago and have no ill effects; that being said I'm glad Michael ran the benchmarks to show they've got good effect on existing code (vs. having to re-compile the entirety of userspace (or Glibc).

Comment

Working...
              X