Half-Life: Alyx Update Adds Native Linux Support, Vulkan Rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half-Life: Alyx Update Adds Native Linux Support, Vulkan Rendering

Phoronix: Half-Life: Alyx Update Adds Native Linux Support, Vulkan Rendering

On launch-day Valve had Half-Life: Alyx running on Linux via Steam Play while with the VR game's latest update is now a Linux-native build and Vulkan rendering support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And I still refuse to put a VR headset on my head.

Still a good news for Linux fans because they can claim there are native AAA games for Linux. Doesn't matter it's one or two games a year or they are released many many months after their original Windows versions.

Comment

First time I am seeing a dev exclude Nvidia and specifically recommend an AMD graphics card.

Comment

It has been a beginning of a thread suspiciously similar to one from three years ago:
        https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...072#post947072

"Some people like to come in and shit on everything because they're bitter people looking for some attention."
        https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...143#post947143

Comment

This is a great news for VR, for Linux, for Vulkan,..

This is such an amazing experience/game, can't believe there is even a native Linux version of such a piece of software.

Big thanks to Valve really.

Comment

AMD graphics recommended?! Who dis?!?

Comment

And for those w/o Linux, Steam, VR, or possibly even money, Epic is giving out GTA V for free

But as an AMD and Linux fan, really to see an AMD GPU with the open driver as the recommended setup

Comment

any chance this game will be playable without VR?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  And I still refuse to put a VR headset on my head.
                  May I ask why?

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  Still a good news for Linux fans because they can claim there are native AAA games for Linux. Doesn't matter it's one or two games a year or they are released many many months after their original Windows versions.
                  Alyx was released on 2020-03-23, so no that long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by btho View Post
                    any chance this game will be playable without VR?
                    Never.

It's designed from the ground up to be experienced in VR and to show people that VR is great.

Some mods are trying to turn it into a flat game, but trying to play Alyx in flat makes no more sense than buying an iPhone and try to get a buggy Android fork on it.
                    Last edited by rmfx; 15 May 2020, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X