No announcement yet.

Xeon Gold 6250 vs. EPYC 7F32 - 8-Core Server CPU Performance On Ubuntu 20.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xeon Gold 6250 vs. EPYC 7F32 - 8-Core Server CPU Performance On Ubuntu 20.04

Phoronix: Xeon Gold 6250 vs. EPYC 7F32 - 8-Core Server CPU Performance On Ubuntu 20.04

Launched last month were the AMD EPYC 7Fx2 CPUs as new high frequency SKUs and with larger L3 cache sizes. Following our initial EPYC 7F52 benchmarking we moved on to testing the EPYC 7F32 and today are putting it head-to-head against the Xeon Gold 6250 and other EPYC/Xeon SKUs while running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The two parts are clearly direct competitors, trading blows on the various benchmarks, with plenty that were essentially tied. Makes you wonder how intel can justify charging a 60% higher price for their part. Even more so when the intel part is still old PCIe3, has lower memory clock, fewer memory channels, and much smaller cache size. Not to mention the older 14nm process node. At the same real world performance level, the AMD 7F32 delivers newer technologies at a much more attractive price point. It's not that the Xeon 6250 is "bad" per se, it's just older tech being sold at an inflated price, so there's no compelling reason to ever choose it.

Comment

*Waiting for birdie*

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
        The two parts are clearly direct competitors, trading blows on the various benchmarks, with plenty that were essentially tied. Makes you wonder how intel can justify charging a 60% higher price for their part. Even more so when the intel part is still old PCIe3, has lower memory clock, fewer memory channels, and much smaller cache size. Not to mention the older 14nm process node. At the same real world performance level, the AMD 7F32 delivers newer technologies at a much more attractive price point. It's not that the Xeon 6250 is "bad" per se, it's just older tech being sold at an inflated price, so there's no compelling reason to ever choose it.
        Have a look at the OEM's ...e.g.: Dell no Ryzen/Threadripper based Workstation its a quasi Monopoly. As a (Dell) customer you dont even know that there could be a cheaper option.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Have a look at the OEM's ...e.g.: Dell no Ryzen/Threadripper based Workstation its a quasi Monopoly. As a (Dell) customer you dont even know that there could be a cheaper option.
          In the 'workstation segment' it is possible that Dell actually wants to "get rid" of some stock before offering AMD.

In the 'home segment', they do offer plenty of AMD:

Desktop Computers - Browse through desktops & all-in-ones. Shop Optiplex, Vostro, Precision & XPS PCs to support your productivity. Free shipping!

In the 'server segment' they do offer AMD, in fact for work I just got from them quote for 8 servers all AMD (64 cores) no problem

Comment

Originally posted by Grinness View Post

In the 'home segment', they do offer plenty of AMD:
            Only the crappy Inspiron line... I want to be optimistic, but I am not really. I really hope Dell will offer other lines with AMD products as well.

The newly released XPS is Intel-only, and that's a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

Only the crappy Inspiron line... I want to be optimistic, but I am not really. I really hope Dell will offer other lines with AMD products as well.

Lenovo offers a considerable number of systems with AMD CPUs both in the business and consumer line ups. CochainComplex points out a problem with single vendor purchasing such as "we only buy Dell", or "we only buy Apple". When you do that you never know what the other vendors offer that may be more appropriate for your business (or school, or whatever) at a comparable or cheaper price point. For a somewhat subjective example, I talked to an Apple zealot the other day we were talking about the new "Magic" keyboards on the Apple laptops. He was gushing how much *better* they were than the old butterfly keyboards, and on and on... till I let him type on my Dell... he shut up real quick. Single vendor silos insulate you from seeing just how bad a product line may be, till you compare it to another silo. He never said another word about how "great" Apple keyboards are... instead he just pointed out Dell doesn't have MacOS. I just shrugged and we changed the subject. He wasn't going to convince me, and I wasn't likely to convince him.

That said, it takes a number of years to bring a new product based on a different CPU - even if the same general architecture - to market. Design, testing, firmware, drivers, even more testing... If AMD continues to repeatedly keep kicking Intel's ass at a lower price point, we may even see the vaunted Dell XPS feature AMD APUs. Apple meanwhile, will just switch to ARM with further vertical integration - current rumors are we'll see a Macbook with an Apple designed ARM processor next year. My guess would be the Air which already has anemic performance even compared to Apple's own silo.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Lenovo offers a considerable number of systems with AMD CPUs both in the business and consumer line ups. CochainComplex points out a problem with single vendor purchasing such as "we only buy Dell", or "we only buy Apple".
                Absolutely agree with all of what you wrote. Myself, I'm happy with my Thinkpad I have to say.

After offering already 2 generations of Inspiron with AMD (showing that it is possible to transition from intel to AMD in a reasonable timeline from the engneering/marketing point of view), I'm still surprised that there is no attempt on other lines. The Vostro line would make sense to at least start introducing some AMD models on the business side. XPS and Latitude is a whole other thing (while I still feel it's a shame).

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  When it came to database server performance with PostgreSQL, the Xeon Gold 6250 came out as a stronger perfomer than the EPYC 7F32.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

Agreed, their Inspiron line is complete and utter garbage. I've had the misfortune of owning Inspiron laptops, the most recent having an AMD A8 5545m. The AMD A8 was terrific, it ran cool and quiet and handled all the basic tasks I could throw at it. Linux support was also excellent. But the laptop itself was pure rubbish build quality. Never again.

Dell and intel are definitely in bed together, with some shady backroom dealing going on. It's the only explanation for putting intel in their higher end products and AMD in the low end e-waste products.

The first company to sell a Ryzen 4000 series laptop with high-end build quality (e.g. XPS or Precision level) is getting my money. Insert Philip J Fry shut-up and take my money!

Comment

Working...
                    X