Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 20.04 Linux Performance On The AMD Ryzen 7 4700U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 20.04 Linux Performance On The AMD Ryzen 7 4700U

Phoronix: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 20.04 Linux Performance On The AMD Ryzen 7 4700U

While most of you are well aware how Linux often slaughters Microsoft Windows performance on high-end desktop and platform servers with large core counts, on smaller systems it can be a different story and often comes down to the particular workloads and any peculiarities of the hardware under test. With recently buying the Lenovo IdeaPad 5 (14) for our AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Linux benchmarking, here are some benchmarks for how that Zen 2 laptop is comparing with different workloads between Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is Firefox on Linux VS Windows fair? Doesn't it use the new RebRender on Windows? Or did you disable it?

Comment

For Unigine either the text or the graphic is wrong as it shows better performance on Linux [the text mentions better performance on Windows though].

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
        For Unigine either the text or the graphic is wrong as it shows better performance on Linux [the text mentions better performance on Windows though].
        Thanks, fixed, just misread the graph when typing the text. The graphs are auto-generated.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Your wallpaper is a picture of a dirty garage wall Michael? I should become a professional wallpaper artist, I'd make a fortune.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
            Your wallpaper is a picture of a dirty garage wall Michael? I should become a professional wallpaper artist, I'd make a fortune.
            This was the default for the laptop.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

This was the default for the laptop.
              I need to send shots of my garage to Lenovo, before I do my summer cleaning.

Comment

I'm surprised by the Firefox numbers. Sure, the graphics related benchmarks should run much better on Win10 as long as Webrender does not get enabled by default on Linux (current defaults should be software backend on Linux vs DX11 backend on Win (1)). But the JS focussed benchmarks? It was tested on the official Mozilla builds, both using the same compiler, right? OTOH it fits into the pattern in this test.

1: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/GF...ere#Windows_10

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post
                  Is Firefox on Linux VS Windows fair? Doesn't it use the new RebRender on Windows? Or did you disable it?

"Is Firefox on Linux VS Windows fair?...".

"...FAIR..."? "Fair" has got nothing to do with this, nor should it ever have.

Not to put too fine a point on this, but one should be using an operating system in order to get work done, with as much repeatability and compatibility with what you worked with six months ago as possible ("...I wonder what's NOT going to work this time, with this newest release...") and with the fewest surprises and fewest broken things, from one release to the next.

I'm sure you're not one, but this type question is usually asked by the non-thinking, totally lacking in critical-thinking skills, "Damn the torpedos; full speed ahead!", Linux fanboy, who is only interested in the latest, flashiest, glitziest, more bloated ("...if it ain't the newest, it's crap...") Linux distro.

...A totally dedicated Linux user.

Comment

Extinguish: Now that Windows is faster than Linux, there would be no incentive to use Linux anymore.

Comment

Working...
                    X