Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Renoir Temperature Monitoring To Come With Linux 5.8

Phoronix: AMD Renoir Temperature Monitoring To Come With Linux 5.8

When it comes to the support for AMD Ryzen 4000 "Renoir" laptop support under Linux, as outlined in my testing so far this month the main caveat is needing Linux 5.6~5.7 for good graphics support but on the likes of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with Linux 5.4 you will not have GPU acceleration. At least in the case of the Lenovo IdeaPad 5 I have been using to test, you also need Linux 5.7 Git for battery sensor support. Another item that in turn is coming with Linux 5.8 is CPU temperature reporting for the Renoir processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu 20.04 is Nvidia only Distro ... Fedora 32 works perfect with AMD hardware...

ubuntu only use outdated files to make it compatible with Nvidia.
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
      Ubuntu 20.04 is Nvidia only Distro ... Fedora 32 works perfect with AMD hardware...
      I will never let my PC see your message. It obviously doesn't know this and works perfectly well with my AMD hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

I will never let my PC see your message. It obviously doesn't know this and works perfectly well with my AMD hardware.
        well yes outdated amd hardware. if you buy today state of the art hardware you need kernel 5.7 and fedora32 has kernel 5.7
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Yeah, because LTS point releases or even mainline kernel PPA's don't exist...
          Last edited by DanL; 22 May 2020, 05:59 PM. Reason: Sorry for feeding the troll

Comment

Fedora 32 works perfect with AMD hardware...
            Fedora is a toy distro that requires an extremely breakage-prone update every 6 months. It's also heavily optimized towards beta testing RHEL. You're better off using a distro that optimizes for the user's benefit rather than Red Hat's.

Comment

What about Fedora 31 with no updates though? It is using outdated files that only makes it compatible with Nvidia and outdated AMD hardware. Fedora 31 is Nvidia only Distro ... Ubuntu 20.10 will work perfect with AMD hardware... (or you know 20.04 with updates if you're not interested in LTS kernel, alternatively one can wait until next HWE update)

Comment

Originally posted by JustinTurdeau View Post

Fedora is a toy distro that requires an extremely breakage-prone update every 6 months. It's also heavily optimized towards beta testing RHEL. You're better off using a distro that optimizes for the user's benefit rather than Red Hat's.
                Your information is outdated for decade as the current iteration of Fedora notably Workstation version is steady , cutting edge and mostly stable on daily basis. As mentioned before, your mileage will vary depending of the hardware. The fact Lenovo now provide their hardware with Fedora already challenged the assertion of "toy distro".
                Users including greatly benefit using Fedora with the gradual transition to Wayland, Pipewire which aims at unifying both Jack Audio and Pulseaudio among latest technologies.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                  Your information is outdated for decade ...
                  No, I was a Fedora user (and packager) within the last decade. It's absolute junk compared to many other distros.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinTurdeau View Post

No, I was a Fedora user (and packager) within the last decade. It's absolute junk compared to many other distros.
                    Time has change since then hence your outdated information.

Comment

Working...
                    X