No announcement yet.

Wine-Staging 5.9 Picks Up A Patch In The Effort To Deal With Denuvo Anti-Cheat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine-Staging 5.9 Picks Up A Patch In The Effort To Deal With Denuvo Anti-Cheat

Phoronix: Wine-Staging 5.9 Picks Up A Patch In The Effort To Deal With Denuvo Anti-Cheat

Just hours after the release of Wine 5.9, the latest staging release is now available that is re-based to the latest upstream while continuing to toss in over eight hundred extra patches...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

why is denuvo called anti-cheat nowadays? i thought it was a copy protection?

i mean, sure it may help against code tampering, but can it prevent memory modification at runtime?

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
      why is denuvo called anti-cheat nowadays? i thought it was a copy protection?

i mean, sure it may help against code tampering, but can it prevent memory modification at runtime?

Denuvo Anti-cheat and Denuvo Anti-Tamper are by marketing documentation meant to be 2 different products by the way. The copy protection stuff historically has been Denuvo Anti-Tamper.

The track record of products containing Denuvo Anti-Tamper being cracked very quickly is insane at best you get 3 months. With the documented track record of product failures and end user complaints caused by Denuvol why are companies still buying any Denuvo products?

Comment

At least Doom Eternal will be removing the Denuvo anti-cheat due to public outcry.

Furthermore, Denuvo devs have expressed interest in making their software Wine / Proton compatible.

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Pro...ment-631750507

Comment

Denuvo wine compatible would be a real relief....not as good as getting rid of it completly .

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
            Denuvo wine compatible would be a real relief....not as good as getting rid of it completly .
            You would actually install a kernel rootkit just to play a game?

Comment

That was a quick turnaround. I wonder if someone they care about threatened to sue their asses over the kernel hack. Or maybe they heard the phrase 'class-action lawsuit'.

DRM/Anticheat companies remain a sorry bunch. They can't stop cheating to save their lives. If that's actually their goal, then they suck at their jobs. Now they've progressed from rootkits to kernel hacks. That's what you get for paying for the product. A fucking kernel hack on your system.

I have this fantasy, where these fools mess with the wrong person. Say the head of intelligence for a country plays a new game, and he gets a rootkit or worse. Then he jacks up everyone involved, because... he can do that.

Or we could just make shit like this illegal in the first place and save everyone the trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post

You would actually install a kernel rootkit just to play a game?
                No. Can't it be done without? Doesn't the Kernel have already interfaces to store drm data etc. How is drm managed on Android phones?

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

No. Can't it be done without? Doesn't the Kernel have already interfaces to store drm data etc. How is drm managed on Android phones?
                  This is not about the Denuvo DRM thingy. This is about their new anti-cheat and that uses a kernel driver in windows

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post

This is not about the Denuvo DRM thingy. This is about their new anti-cheat and that uses a kernel driver in windows
                    I havent read the entire comments on Xaero_Vincent link https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Pro...ment-631750507 but it seems that Denuvo already works in some cases with wine. Since wine is totally in the userspace there is no Ring 0 hack to make it runable. Besides this point was also mentioned in the comments of the link.

But to be honest I'm not up to date which DRM or Anti-Cheat technologies are on the market. Usually I prefer SinglePlayer Games and there you come across Denuvo as "Anti-Wine" Plugin.

Comment

Working...
                    X