KDE Begins Its Transition To GitLab, Plasma 5.20 Seeing Early Activity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Begins Its Transition To GitLab, Plasma 5.20 Seeing Early Activity

Phoronix: KDE Begins Its Transition To GitLab, Plasma 5.20 Seeing Early Activity

With KDE Plasma 5.19 due for its stable release in early June, development efforts are beginning to focus on Plasma 5.20 for release later this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I upgraded a Buster-based MX install yesterday to kde 5.17 from Sid repos. Be interesting to see if it continues to upgrade properly going forward or if I ruin it by mixing Sid and Buster repos. I'm thinking it will crash and burn soon enough.
    Last edited by andyprough; 23 May 2020, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Glad to see they chose GitLab over GitHub.

Especially with Microsoft making many announcements in regards to open source lately, too great is my mistrust in their politics.

Thumbs up, KDE!

Comment

Microsoft is the wolf in sheep's clothing !

Comment

Am I the only one who very much dislikes GitLab's interface?

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post

Especially with Microsoft making many announcements in regards to open source lately, too great is my mistrust in their politics.

Thumbs up, KDE!
            If you're referring to that recent MAUI debacle: that was one Microsoft employee only and Microsoft suspended him when they took notice of his behavior. Every company has rotten fruit, or so to speak. At least MS took proper action by suspending him.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
              This isn't about moving development to gitlab.org but about installing the gitlab software on kde's servers, replacing phabricator.
              Just like gnome did (find them on gitlab.gnome.org).

Comment

I never thought Phabricator was hard to learn, but removing that small hurdle is a good idea to ensure new contributors can get up and running as easily as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
                  This isn't about moving development to gitlab.org ...
                  Nor did I say it was. I was in fact not even aware of the specifics, because I don't care for it. It is their project and their choice how they manage it. I'm honestly just glad they're not choosing GitHub for the above mentioned reason.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                    I upgraded a Buster-based MX install yesterday to kde 5.17 from Sid repos. Be interesting to see if it continues to upgrade properly going forward or if I ruin it by mixing Sid and Buster repos. I'm thinking it will crash and burn soon enough.
                    Found a community repo for kde 5.18.5 for Debian this afternoon and upgraded to that. Still on Buster for everything else. Everything is working well, but I'm still assuming it will break soon enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X