Linux Getting Fixed Up For Handling Pointing Sticks On Some Touchpads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Getting Fixed Up For Handling Pointing Sticks On Some Touchpads

Phoronix: Linux Getting Fixed Up For Handling Pointing Sticks On Some Touchpads

For input devices on some laptops that are a combination of a pointing stick and touchpad, the Linux kernel's multi-touch driver will finally begin handling them correctly...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Pointing stick". Is that some sort of weird name for "Red nipple"?

I think marketing call them "Track points" but I don't know any more.

Comment

I had to look up the term "pointing stick." I had always called them mouse clits.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        "Pointing stick". Is that some sort of weird name for "Red nipple"?

I think marketing call them "Track points" but I don't know any more.

Its the original name from PARC yes the place that gave the name mouse for a pointing device as well. Lets just say not the most creative naming place.

Comment

The articles mentions Windows 8. So, is this not applicable to laptops from 2004 for example?

Comment

I care little for what it's called. All I know is I absolutely refuse to use any laptop that doesn't have one. I won't go back to accidentally clicking or moving the cursor (due to palm on touchpad) while I'm typing. It really shines in scenarios where you frequently switch from typing to pointing. It's also useful for games where you can infinitely point in a certain direction without repositioning your pointing device (for things like panning a map or adjusting your camera angle).

It's a shame there don't seem to be any Linux-oriented laptop vendors who provide laptops with them. If anyone has found any, I'd be very interested in hearing about them. For this alone I was very glad about the recent news that Lenovo is expanding their consumer-oriented Linux offerings. More options with my input device of choice are always welcome.

I understand the hate tho - if I hadn't been forced to use it by my first laptop, I may never have become accustomed to it or learned how to use it. It took a little while (an hour or so) just to get the hang of it to the point where I wasn't concentrating on it while using it.

Comment

Working...
            X