Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 20.1 Features Include Big Improvements For Open-Source Intel, Radeon Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 20.1 Features Include Big Improvements For Open-Source Intel, Radeon Graphics Drivers

Phoronix: Mesa 20.1 Features Include Big Improvements For Open-Source Intel, Radeon Graphics Drivers

The release of Mesa 20.1 is imminent as the latest quarterly feature update to this collection of open-source OpenGL/Vulkan drivers predominantly in use by Linux systems. Here is a look at the many exciting improvements with Mesa 20.1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Opensource drivers had come such a long way. I remember installing unstable Mesa drivers on a (for the time) hulking R9 290 with 3 fans, only to achieve ~30 FPS on low settings in Left 4 Dead 2. Now I can do 60 FPS at 1080p in a puny A8-7600 APU, running stock Mesa driver on Kubuntu 20.04.

Huge kudos to all of those paid and non-paid developers that made this happen.

Comment

Can someone explain what is the relation / position in a stack(?) between Mesa, Xorg/Wayland and the kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by Ifr2 View Post
        Can someone explain what is the relation / position in a stack(?) between Mesa, Xorg/Wayland and the kernel?
        I'm not the best to explain this to you, but I'll try anyways

Kernel drivers deal with hardware itself, so initialization, memory allocation, frequency scaling, modesetting (display resolution, bits per pixel and stuff)

Mesa drivers deal with the graphics/compute API to send commands to the kernel driver, so openGL, vulkan, openCL, direct X 9, and so

Xorg/Wayland are the protocol used to display the output of the GPU on the screen

I might be missing something in between them, but AFAIU that's how it works

Comment

Originally posted by Ifr2 View Post
          This illustration might help https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:L...Stack_2013.svg

(taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa_(computer_graphics)

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
            Thanks for posting that - it's a nice illustration.

Comment

Working...
            X