Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8GB Raspberry Pi 4 Launched For $75 USD

Phoronix: 8GB Raspberry Pi 4 Launched For $75 USD

The Raspberry Pi Foundation has announced a new Raspberry Pi 4 with 8GB of RAM...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What I'd really like to have at this point is 2 SATA ports.

Wonder why they haven't included it yet.
    Cost? Board size? Not an interesting feature for the average raspy user?

Comment

8 GB is really nice, its what many flagship phones have. This is a decent amount of RAM so with this the Raspberry Pi isn't just a toy.

Now if they could get one with the ARM Cortex-A77 (or the upcoming Cortex-A78) instead of the Cortex-A72 (from 2016) that would be good and make it really fast.
      And make it a 8-core DynamIQ with two clusters, like 4 weak cores and 4 strong cores. The current Raspberry Pi 4 only have 4 identical cores.
      Last edited by uid313; 28 May 2020, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

Ok mostelikely not average users but I guess we should not underestimate the number of NAS guys using ZFS.

Comment

Annnnnd ordered. I think it's interesting they specifically mention that the CPU can address up to 16GB, but I'd be pretty surprised if they actually created a 16GB model. Maybe when we get to Pi 5.

A SATA port would be a nice upgrade but the full speed USB3 gives you pretty darn good performance with a USB drive. Being able to boot from USB (albeit beta firmware) is nice, no more having a sd card just for /boot!

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

why not an nvme port on the back side?

Comment

This kinda makes sense, because there are a decent amount of RPi desktop users and 4GB isn't quite enough for that.

For hard drives, USB 3 is more than fast enough. But otherwise I strongly agree that SATA would be very much appreciated since SSDs are more appealing to these low-power systems. I recently bought a Rock64 as a side-grade (better in some ways, worse in others) from my current home server. I was really hesitant because it didn't have SATA, but, at least the USB 3.0 port was on its own dedicated host, and not shared with the gigabit ethernet. Ethernet is almost always going to be the main bottleneck, so I felt this platform was "good enough".
              The next time I upgrade my server, it will likely be whenever small ARM SBCs get at least 2.5Gbps Ethernet

Comment

Originally posted by squash View Post
                A SATA port would be a nice upgrade but the full speed USB3 gives you pretty darn good performance with a USB drive. Being able to boot from USB (albeit beta firmware) is nice, no more having a sd card just for /boot!
                If you want to use SSDs, and want to have TRIM support, then you will have to research the USB adapter you are using for the SSD. And you might also want SMART for HDD/SDDs, which might or might not work with a USB<->SATA converter.

Comment

Don't buy this crap. The development is very close-source. Full of binary blobs. Even the OS is still only 32-bit lol!

Comment

Oh, finally other vendors will start producing Rockchip and Amlogic-based boards with 8 GM RAM. Their current 4 GB RAM lineup limit it's usability (both of as workstation and edge server) quite significantly, that why I got Lenovo Yoga C630 WOS with Snapdragon 850 and 8GB RAM for myself.

Comment

Working...
                    X