No announcement yet.

Chrome 84 Beta Brings Better Web Animations API, Experimental WebAssembly SIMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 84 Beta Brings Better Web Animations API, Experimental WebAssembly SIMD

Phoronix: Chrome 84 Beta Brings Better Web Animations API, Experimental WebAssembly SIMD

Following the recent Chrome 83 release, Chrome 84 has now been promoted to beta...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Were is the god dam video decoding hardware acceleration Google? It already works on Windows and in Linux the patch is available and working. Nobody cares about those shenanigans you are working, people want to watch YT without stuttering* or draining all the juice off the batteries.

*On low powered devices.
    Last edited by M@GOid; 28 May 2020, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Waiting for MathML.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        Were is the god dam video decoding hardware acceleration Google? It already works on Windows and in Linux the patch is available and working. Nobody cares about those shenanigans you are working, people want to watch YT without stuttering* or draining all the juice off the batteries.

*On low powered devices.
        Perhaps it's just not worthwhile to Google? Do they care about linux customers much? Or is it a competitive advantage with ChromeOS for users that don't want to use Windows or macOS?

Users that care about it enough and are on linux, are either likely to:

A) Just accept it, bad experiences with linux aren't uncommon (albeit they are becoming less frequent)
        B) Go through the effort to use a patched version. Sometimes this is as easy as googling, finding some article and discovering a simple package for your distro that you can install, maybe some additional steps, I can't remember.
        C) Pay for an alternative that provides that functionality, if the value outweighs that of staying on Linux distro.

A and B means it's not too important to Google, C potentially works in their favor? So is worth them supporting/maintaining upstream for them, or can they get away without the hassle? (just regular complaints that can be ignored).

Maybe if Firefox did it well and gained more desktop linux user marketshare....? Probably wouldn't make much of a difference tbh. Canonical or RedHat/IBM could possibly throw some weight(finances) around to influence(bribe) HW decode support though, but is that an important feature for the majority of their users?(which is likely server/workstation more so than desktop users, and even for those using it as a casual desktop, only a portion of those are going to care enough).

It'd be funny if MS get their WSL graphic API support all setup with hardware accel support, that Google enables support there, or if MS contributes the DX12 API support to host linux systems, that Chrome on Linux provides support via that only.

Comment

I've recently tried the new Microsoft Edge powered by Chromium. It is actually really nice. It is like a better Chrome. Microsoft have really done a good job with Edge.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Perhaps it's just not worthwhile to Google?
            Of course it's not worthwhile to Google. But that doesn't make them immune to criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Perhaps it's just not worthwhile to Google? Do they care about linux customers much? Or is it a competitive advantage with ChromeOS for users that don't want to use Windows or macOS?

Users that care about it enough and are on linux, are either likely to:

A) Just accept it, bad experiences with linux aren't uncommon (albeit they are becoming less frequent)
              B) Go through the effort to use a patched version. Sometimes this is as easy as googling, finding some article and discovering a simple package for your distro that you can install, maybe some additional steps, I can't remember.
              C) Pay for an alternative that provides that functionality, if the value outweighs that of staying on Linux distro.

A and B means it's not too important to Google, C potentially works in their favor? So is worth them supporting/maintaining upstream for them, or can they get away without the hassle? (just regular complaints that can be ignored).

Maybe if Firefox did it well and gained more desktop linux user marketshare....? Probably wouldn't make much of a difference tbh. Canonical or RedHat/IBM could possibly throw some weight(finances) around to influence(bribe) HW decode support though, but is that an important feature for the majority of their users?(which is likely server/workstation more so than desktop users, and even for those using it as a casual desktop, only a portion of those are going to care enough).

It'd be funny if MS get their WSL graphic API support all setup with hardware accel support, that Google enables support there, or if MS contributes the DX12 API support to host linux systems, that Chrome on Linux provides support via that only.
              I saw the excuses one of their developers did, even shamelessly bad mouthing graphic drivers on Linux, like if they were any good on Windows, where the acceleration is enabled.

To me this is just a political case. Some head honcho there must have a gruge with someone on the GPU driver side. To not even allowing it to be enabled behind a flag, so novices cannot harm themselves, just shows something else is going on. "Stability and security concerns" my a**. How can you make make the code more secure and stable, if you didn't allow people to test it?

And the pursuit of frivolous Web resources nobody uses is so entrenched in their culture (in Mozilla too), that even MS Edge got hardware acceleration before Firefox and Chrome, before they switched to be Chromium based.
              Last edited by M@GOid; 29 May 2020, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Of course it's not worthwhile to Google. But that doesn't make them immune to criticism.
                Sure, criticize them all you like. They just likely don't care so it'd fall on deaf ears..

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

To me this is just a political case. Some head honcho there must have a grunge with someone on the GPU driver side. To not even allowing it to be enabled behind a flag, so novices cannot harm themselves, just shows something else is going on. "
                You make a pretty good point here I guess with supporting the feature as experimental via a flag, the patches didn't do that right? Maybe someone should put forward patches to Chromium again with it off by default and toggled via a flag?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  I've recently tried the new Microsoft Edge powered by Chromium. It is actually really nice. It is like a better Chrome. Microsoft have really done a good job with Edge.
                  On Windows right?

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post

On Windows right?
                    Yeah, I've only tried it on Windows so far, but I've read that it is coming to Linux too. My daily browser is Firefox, but having tried Edge, I think it was pleasant and a better Chrome than Chrome.

Comment

Working...
                    X